Funny / Cheeky Behaviour?

newhorse

Visit site
My horse has never been the nippy sought until recently. I have noticed a few little things such as when anyone came in the field with me he would give them a gentle knock out of the way but never do it to me.

He has also made a couple of attempts to purposely speed up to have a little nip at the person I am walking withs clothes (probably skin if it was available?).

Today I took his rug off in the field and he started having a little chomp on this and pulling it off me - again, never done this before? And then tried to catch hold of a lady who rides him occasionally when she patted him.

I tied him up at the yard to tack up and he started chewing at the wood on the door frame! It's not like crib biting as we were outside and he just looked like he was enjoying himself?

He has always been very submissive but having moved yards yesterday he has become a little balshy. Even tonight I just popped down to make sure he was ok with new friends and when one came over to me he tried to kick the new friend! He has never done this either!

The nipping started before his move so cant be to do with that? Any ideas?

newhorse

Visit site
I dont personally however someone has been recently! But he was doing the nipping before this but it certainly has got worse lately. I have put a stop to this to see if it helps.

Flame_

Visit site
It sounds to me like he's just a bit unsettled. His guard's up and he's trying to establish his place in the pecking order. I don't think you need to worry, but if he nips you or gets bolshy, just be firm and remind him you're in charge.

Biting the fence is also a bit of a stress related thing. It doesn't mean he's traumatized or anything, but it is a habit, like nail-biting in people, that he probably turns to when he's feeling insecure or nervous.

Muckmeister

Visit site
Sounds like a spot of dominant behaviour to me. Mine tries this occasionally, when he is a little hyped up / full of himself. If he gets too bad I firmly pinch his elbow every time he makes an attempt at nipping and it usually sorts the problem quickly. He did however, get me once - quite painfully. I grabbed hold of his ear (closest thing I could get to) and bit him ... Foul taste - but the look on his face was priceless! Plus he never actually bit ME again
wink.gif

newhorse

Visit site
Yes, would all make sense wouldn't it. He was even more cheeky this morning, chased the owners dog around the field - he has been brought up with dogs and never done this before! I think he has a little bit of new found confidence now he isn't getting bullied anymore