funny lumps????help!

pixiebee

Visit site
my pony has come up in large hard lumps all over his body,some have a small crusty head. they seem to be itchy. i thaught maybe fly bites but he has never had this reaction before?? last night i kept him in with a lightweight rug on to keep flys off him but he has come up in more lumps, even under the rug.His breathing seems to be quite heavy too, which is abnormal for him,i have not changed his bedding or anything so it shouldnt be that. Not sure what i should do?????

Mellymoo1

Visit site
There seems to be a lot of mosquitos around at the moment... could they be bites? My horse has been bitten quite badly over the last few weeks due to the warm weather and lots of rain...

I got some antisan cream from the chemists and that seemed to take the itch away...

Hope that helps..

Peanot

Visit site
My mare has recently been bitten by something a few times. One night, I brought her in and she had a few lumps under her belly, one on her neck and a big one on her bottom the size of a fist. They were all gone within 2 days, except on her neck where there are a couple of little lumps still. There are also a lot of dragon flies about.
This is the first time that it has happened to my mare. It is probably a small reaction to the bite, and will most likely be gone tomorrow.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Yes, without a doubt call the vet out. A horse, who was new to our yard last summer was bitten very badly all over by mosquitos and had a very bad reaction. The vet came out & had to give him jabs etc to sort him out. He was in a sorry state but got better.

Tia

Visit site
My horses are getting this "treat" at the moment too - mosquitoes. I just rub in lots of antihistamine cream - seems to work well.