Funny winter moments to come.....

happyhack

Visit site
whats everyone looking forward to? and not looking forward to? any funny moments from past winters, come on today is dragging for me-i need some entertainment!!

last year, i fell over on the yard through sheer weight of carrying wet muddy rugs across as well as walking out of my boots whilst trying to catch the sods!! why are they reluctant to come in in winter and cant wait to come in in the summer!!!!

madlady

Visit site
haha mine are just as bad - in summer they will be lurking waiting for me to appear and desperate to get in their stables but they have already started their 'normal' winter behaviour.

Last night I went to fetch them in from the field - shouted them and they didn't even pick their heads up off the floor so off I trudged across muddy fields, got within 50 yards of them and they all galloped off to the opposite corner of the field.

One thing I'm not looking forward to is trying to push a full barrow across icy mud - I lost count of the amount of times the contents of my barrow didn't make it to the muck heap last year!

Accy

Visit site
Im looking forward to those crisp morning where everything it quiet and so pretty, I am not looking forward to breaking the ice that forms on the tops of the water buckets

Heidi1

Visit site
Looking forward to nice winter hacks, when it's cold, but bright blue sky, love it................not looking forward to mud, mud and more mud, wet horses, wet muddy rugs and mucking out.................. Oh and not enough day light......

JessPickle

Visit site
My funny moment, was trying to smash the ice on the water triough with a stick, didnt work so i had the vbright idea of using my foot, my foot went right in and my boots fille dup with ice cold water OOPS

Tempi

Visit site
im not looking forward to frozen hoses in the morning when im trying to fill water buckest at 6am (people always forget to wrap the hose up late at night).....i love cold frosty mornings when you get that winter sun, its gorgeous.

I have however fallen on my backside due to ice on the muck trailer on numerous occoasions - it realy hurts tho!

riotgirl

Visit site
I hate the fact that I can't ride until the weekends when tje clocks go back. I also hate that I have to muck out the stable in the dark!! Apart from that I love the winter!

hussar

Visit site
Looking forward to that moment when it's a filthy wet, cold, windy night so you worry they're not warm enough, stick your hand under the rug and find they're as warm as toast.

Not looking forward to negotiating the field gateways after the tractor's been through ...

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Spring would much rather come in during the winter than summer - she likes her home comforts.

Looking forward to:
-Smart clipped horse warm and snugly in her rugs
- Safe and dry in her stable whilst its windy and raining outside
- Wearing her new preimer equine winter buster turnout rug
- Cold crisp morning hacks
- Having an indoor school to ride in so I don't have to freeze and get wet!

Not looking forward to:
- Wet muddy legs and rugs
- Freezing hands and feet, in fact generally being cold!
- Only ever seeing her in the dark during the week
- Only being able to hack at weekends
- Slippery muddy bridleways

Funniest winter moment - when tying my haynet up the string broke and I ended up on my bottom in the middle of the stable with Spring giving me a mildly concerned look, she then gave the haynet a good snort
grin.gif
Thinking of her face still makes me laugh!!

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Have a look at my recent post on the pic forum :
Autumn & Winter on their way....
#1369803 - 03/10/2006 23:26

I've got some more wintery pictures (brrr!) to post when I get them organised...

Bex7

Visit site
funny moment from last winter (very glad JJ was not around with her camera)

Went chasing after an escapee pony I was leading in a field (obviously not very well!) pony did a little buck and in an attempt to miss hooves in the chops i fell face first in a massive mud puddle and actually had mud poor out of my gob when I stood up, my jeans were soaked through and I had mud slop in my pockets!! Oh how the helpers (on average 14 yrs younger than me) peed themselves with laughter!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Oh Ive walked out of my boots too! Isnt the feeling of your feet plunging into deep thick freezing mud just wonderful?!
wink.gif

Love:
* Clipped horses, they're so much easier to groom!
* That my welshie is SO much happier in the winter, no midgies to irritate the hell out of him and also he adores the cold! He gets so grumpy when he's hot in the summer!
* Indoor show jumping, I much prefer jumping indoors than out! Dont know why as everyone I know is the opposite!
* Putting cosy rugs on them and making their feed with hot water which they love.

HATE:
* Filthy horses (even though the clipped ones are easier to groom!) with mud splattered faces and legs.
* Taking off wet, filthy rugs..... yuck.
* Not being able to ride everyday due to only having a paddock to ride in so its VERY weather dependent!
* The fact that my TB gets flighty in the cold and VERY flighty in the wind......
* Numb fingers. Especially hate having to pick up wet muddy buckets with cold hands.
* Leaking damn wellies!! Why do ALL my wellies give up during those times of nothing but days of solid rain?!
* Having to put up with deep litter in the field shelter, I hate it but no other way!
* Having to muck out the shelters / stables (open for access 24/7 so not actually that bad!).
* Getting that horrid shock when I slip a bit on the icy concrete by the stables.

Worst thing that happened last winter - pony decided to kindly headbutt my whilst I was de-icing the horse trough. Fell straight into it.