Furious - and very relieved!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We went out about 6.30 to bring the horses in for their tea and wondered why the new horse wasn't doing her usual push and shove to come in 2nd - in fact she just stood stock still and let the 2 who usually follow her come in and didn't even seem to notice.
When she got into her stable, she refused to eat her haylage and started lying down, standing up, lying down again , breathing heavily and moving her back legs uneasily when she was standing up - all early signs of colic.
So (and this is why I'm furious) I rang our usual vet only to hear a message telling me that the surgery was shut until Monday and giving an emergency number for a practice over 20 miles away. I rang only to find that it was a small animal vet. So I rang a different local vet and fortunately one of their vets could come out to us. This is the 2nd time I've had to do this in an emergency.
When he got here, after going to a lambing, the mare was eating haylage quite happily and had passed some dung. He gave her a thorough examination, laughed when he listened to her gut because all was working well - thank goodness! And left saying in reply to our apologies that he would far rather it was that way round than that he had to treat an ill horse. I can only think that she is definitely not a stoic.
We have decided that we do not want to be put in this position again, so are going to change vets to the practice that came out tonight, only trouble is there is one vet there that I NEVER want on our yard. The vet who came tonight was great with the mare and made friends with her before doing anything else. We would certainly be happy to see him again.

Last edited:

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
So pleased she's okay hun.

Re. the first vet, well, I know they need time off, but for gawd's sake, that is ridiculous.

Good luck on the new vet and not getting the one you don't want!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The last time this happened (I am pearlsasingers sister) The horse was so ill she was pts that day, I ended up ringing three different practices, after I had narrowly missed being landed on by a 17hh Clyde, who was a very poorly girl. We said then, never again, but the vet himself is excellent, but not much use if he is not there, or has an assistant who can come instead. The decision has been made tonight, to not use him again :(

However the mare is a big softy and we think that she had a little pain in a big tummy. The only other explanation, which is a bit worrying is that we possibly bought a BOGOF, but oh we do hope not! :D

Dolcé

Visit site
So glad she is ok, must have been horrible! You know my own recent experience of having to use a different practice and it is not nice when you need the security of your own vet! If you are going to use the other practice I would speak to them and have it put on your account that you do not want a certain vet to come out under any circumstances (I am assuming this is the practice you stopped using after the sad loss of your other mare, but even if not they should be able to do this).

Hope your mare is ok from now, and if you have BOGOF then they are very sweet!!

Ravenwood

Visit site
I use two practises, registered with both. Our local vets are brilliant, good down to earth, rural, large animal practise and very cheap. We know each other very well and therefore perfect for all the routine stuff. But should something a bit more serious crop up (as in your circumstances) then I would use the other as they are high tech (expensive :rolleyes: ) equine practise.

So, perhaps there is no need to fall out with your regular practise (never good to burn bridges ;) ) but double your armour and keep in with both of them :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes she certainly is a drama queen! It's funny really because although she is enormous and bright bay, she reminds us frequently of a TBxWelshD bay roan that we used to have -who was a very affectionate horse and the biggest drama queen you've ever met.

hch4971. Yes I will ask for that to be put on the records. We had a problem years ago with this practice when we had a foal which died and we also nearly lost the mare. We pwersevered with them and then finally left when they 'computerised their billing system, which didn't seem to register when you had paid!

Ravenwood - that's exactly what we plan to do. The holidaying vet (and I don't begrudge him a holiday, just wish he would make a proper arrangement for emergency cover) does acupuncture, which has made an enormous difference to 2 of our horses and I certainly don't want to lose that facility.

Booboos

Visit site
Glad your mare is well but I can see why you would be shocked with the vet. Prior to coming to France (ha, ha!) I had never heard of a vet that did not make emergency arrangements when they were unavailable. I used to go out with an equine vet and their large practice had someone on first call who had to remain at/near home while on call, someone on second call who was allowed to be an hour or so away while on call and on some ocassions all 4 vets were drafted in to deal with exceptional emergencies.

Sleepeeze_dad

Visit site
Glad to see she recovered quickly. Must have been a chaotic and frightening time trying to grab a vet.

Our horses are registered with 2 vets and as has been said before - yes you can do that and it is never a good idea to burn any bridges. Also with our second vet (also a hi tech one), we request the vet that comes out using the excuse - "she knows the history of our horse and is familiar with his quirks" which makes perfect logical sense and they are happy to do that. He hasn't got any quirks but it helps the receptionist to focus :)

Hope that helps.

Foaling Around

Visit site
There is a good guide to out of hours services on the RCVS website

http://www.rcvs.org.uk/advice-and-g...eterinary-surgeons/a-24-hour-emergency-cover/

As I understand it, all vet practices have to either provide OOH's cover, or atleast delegate it elsewhere. Suprised they got a small animal clinic to give cover (although I think this is still perfectly acceptable as you still have cover?) - maybe ask your vet why they opted to do that? I'm sure if you voice your concerns for possible future OOH accidents, they will give you some advice. It was very nice of the other practice to come out as that was above the call of duty according to RCVS guidelines, but just remember if something was to happen at 2am they may not want to come out to someone that isn't their client (not getting your regular business, but having to do the "*****ty stuff" could possibly cause conflict?).

Best to get it out in the open and discuss (once calmed down :)) so in the cases of a real emergency you know what will happen, and give you piece of mind. I think one thing to ascertain is whether you would have to transport the horse to a practice during OOH's.

Glad your horse is OK :) - looks like she was trying a "fire drill"!!

Foaling Around

Visit site
Oops just re-read and didn't see you said you were changing practices!! O well its an interesting link anyway, and still a semi-relevant response!!

Echo Bravo

Visit site
I know how you feel as the 2 best horse, cattle etc:- vets have left or are leaving the vet practice I've been with for many years and you know when they no nothing about horses when they say they'd like a referal to some vet hospital after they ask you are you insured and these 2 vets are superb. I burst out crying when the first one said it was her last and then said the other vet had given their notice in as well:(:(:(:(:(

maxapple

Visit site
I am so lucky to live in Kent and be near a large teaching practice. They never ever close and are fab.

My horse was in the for 2 1/2 months cross tied recently, and they phoned me every singal morning without fail (including xmas day and new years day) with an update on my boy.

Definately change your vet!!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, experiences and the link :) Having been in this postition twice with the current vet, we will have to change practice. When our brilliant horse vet retired, we too could have cried, he was a real horseman, who came out to the old lady with colic on his night off!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Years ago I had a dog with a torsion (life threatening condition). I phoned the vet and he said to bring the dog to the surgery later, he couldn't be there for a bit because his wife would kill him if he didn't eat his meal first! :mad: To cut a long story short the dog died, and we changed practice .
Our current vets have someone on call 24/7 and are always happy to come out whatever time you call.