Further advice on stallions in close proximity to mares

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Yep - they can 'show' a bit but it's not a 'proper' season. I had in-foal mares at the back of my stallion field with foals at foot. He'd go over, say hello, and they'd start squatting and squirting. And he'd go back to his grass - he KNEW they weren't being honest and would have kicked his head off if he'd tried anything.

oldie48

Visit site
Yep - they can 'show' a bit but it's not a 'proper' season. I had in-foal mares at the back of my stallion field with foals at foot. He'd go over, say hello, and they'd start squatting and squirting. And he'd go back to his grass - he KNEW they weren't being honest and would have kicked his head off if he'd tried anything.
Well that's a relief, I starting to worry that Rose would come into season every time she heard him shout! Rose isn't showing so much today so hopefully she's coming to the end (day 6) There's always something to learn when you have horses, isn't there?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Well that's a relief, I starting to worry that Rose would come into season every time she heard him shout! Rose isn't showing so much today so hopefully she's coming to the end (day 6) There's always something to learn when you have horses, isn't there?

Absolutely. I have been learning about horses since I was about 3 years old (and that's close on 67 years, lol) And every day SOMETHING pops up. And horses are great communicators - they talk to us all the time - we just have to listen and interpret the message.

oldie48

Visit site
Absolutely. I have been learning about horses since I was about 3 years old (and that's close on 67 years, lol) And every day SOMETHING pops up. And horses are great communicators - they talk to us all the time - we just have to listen and interpret the message.
Well I was a very late starter so have been on a steep learning curve, it seems like forever and there are times I still feel completely at a loss. Wouldnt change it for the world though.

tristar

Visit site
Both of my old biddys showed in season upon setting eyes on my new stallion, but it was perhaps not a "real" cycle, and as Clodagh says may be a defense behaviour when encountering a new stallion (or, they're just shameless sluts....).
ah the mysteries of love, mine were definitely sluts, but as they returned in foal under a month i have my doubts either way.

i have seen on a number of occasions newly arrived mares come into season, not mine

the point is really that if they comes into season out of cycle or in cycle for the purposes of this thread you can`t take it granted that flirtation and encouragement could take place when you don`t expect it.

oldie48

Visit site
I think I should have called this thread, "Lock up your daughters" Just been out to say good night to Rose, she is safely in her stable and will no doubt go to sleep dreaming of her prince, however, what she doesn't know is that I am strongly in favour of "arranged marriage!" and our local lothario misses the mark completely. Thanks for all your input.