Further to the Gypsy program... would you ...

jaysh

Visit site
I would work for one definetly.
Dont have a problem with them, there are wicked/dishonest people in the non gypsy community. probably more so!

scrunchie

Visit site
I know someone who does. She exercises his trotters for him.

She seems quite happy. He's never failed to pay her and she rides some beautiful horses.

FionaM12

Visit site
Personally, I believe people are individuals and I judge each of them I meet by the person, not their race, culture or group.

If I saw a job I fancied and realised the employer was a member of the travelling community, I'd probably go for the job and if I got an interview, decide from there whether it was for me. Just as I would with any job. :rolleyes:

jalapeno

Wherever the wind takes me.. usually somewhere on
Visit site
erm tbh... the program as a whole didn't shock me. I grew up with a game keeper.. so as much I agree it wasn't tasteful, it wasn't so awful. The cock fighting was foul.. and the things that follow that suit I couldn't agree with! I used to be 'friends/associates' with a gypsy when I was at school and his family were quite appreciative of my family's help with their horses and their issues. They always offered payment, which was declined because it was never much they did for them. They were always polite and courteous and still are... and we don't get machinery nicked!!

Having said that, would I work for them? No! not in a million years I'm afraid. My reasoning - I couldn't condone what they do. I am polite to them as they are to me. I wouldn't purposefully mix with them and would never ask anything of them.. I would also never trust any. Keep you friends close, enemies closer!

dunkley

Visit site
ok so being serious J, would u? could you cope with how they deal with horses/animals/people.?

You wouldn't know how they deal with horses/animals/people until you got there. You would only know anything about them from what the general consensus of opinion is, and to be fair, that is not very favourable, but is also likely to be pretty ill informed, unless the person giving the information has first-hand, longterm, hands on, experience..........and I bet those people are a bit thin on the ground ;)

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
You wouldn't know how they deal with horses/animals/people until you got there. You would only know anything about them from what the general consensus of opinion is, and to be fair, that is not very favourable, but is also likely to be pretty ill informed, unless the person giving the information has first-hand, longterm, hands on, experience..........and I bet those people are a bit thin on the ground ;)

well yes id imagine not a of everyday people will of eve worked for them.

dunkley

Visit site
well yes id imagine not a of everyday people will of eve worked for them.

So, you see, you would have to decide if you were brave enough to find out, or just believe everyone else who knows what they are like, without ever having set foot on a site! If the newspapers are as accurate in their reporting about gypsies as they are about everything else, what more do we need to know? :rolleyes:

Fii

Visit site
We had a gypsy friend of a friend work a horse for us to see if it would drive!
So boot on other foot scenario.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Based on the experience I had living for eight years very close to a site, and seeing terrible, terrible cruelty to animals including horses, and YO having to sit with an injured horse while RSPCA/police put it to sleep after they dumped it in the road (other times just the corpse was dumped in the road).......well; I would certainly want to know whether I was dealing with a real Romany with huge pride in his animals, or the type of individual who could inflict the above.

So it would depend, but I would be wondering TBH why they werent employing 'in house' as it were as they dont normally mix if its avoidable.

dunkley

Visit site
id expect a lot to be true, wouldnt you?

I wouldn't believe anything the papers said!

Come on, they are describing the War Horse as a chestnut colt! They write what they want, and trust that most people won't/CBA to question it.

The only real experience I have of gypsies, is of the 'Traveller' type - and TBF, it's not good, and they fulfilled every stereotypical expectation I had :(

However, I now have some dealings with someone else, who is nothing like you would expect, and quite lovely.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to get past my prejudices, but a better person than me (and braver!) might, and only judge as they find.