Further treatment for hoof abscess

scrat

Visit site
I've been treating an abscess in mares hoof for almost 3 weeks now. I just wanted to know at what stage the hole ( that the farrier made) should be plugged? A small amount of pus is still on the poultice that I have put over the coronet band but there isn't any from the hole anymore. I have continued wet poulticing the coronet band and put a dry one on the sole for the last couple of days. Obviously I need to make sure that I dont seal in any remaining infection so would it be better to wait until nothing at all is showing on iether poultice? Also once the hole is plugged ( the farrier said to use cotton wool and stockholm tar) do I continue to bandage over this too? Thanks if you've got this far but any help would be appreciated.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yeah, Id keep poulticing until all puss is out (and for a few days after to be sure). You dont have to plug it, I have in the past just put on one of those plastic boots which keep the sole clean and dry. Although they can get sweaty inside so I have usually wrapped some vetwrap round the hoof.

Otherwise I found trying to plug it didnt work that well as it just kept falling out! We used Keratex clay stuff on a nasty hole - its like hard playdough which you have to soften a bit then spread it into the hole where it hardens up a bit again. Quite good stuff.