Fussy/crazy horse (also in NL - please read)

lisab

Visit site
My horse has been on green HorseHage for 7 years because of respiratory issues. He was fine on it for all that time but he suddenly went crazy 3 months ago and I had to stop riding him and get the vet because he was putting me and himself in danger.

Blood tests were clear and I was advised that it must be feed-related. Which it clearly is because when I put him on blue HorseHage and replaced his comp mix with Calm n Condition, he went completely back to normal.

However.

Monsieur now refuses to eat the blue HH after eating it perfectly happily for 3 weeks. He comes in at 12.30 and spent all Christmas Day, Christmas night, Boxing day and boxing night eating nothing.

I tried him on soaked hay and hay steamed in a proper steamer and that made him huff and puff and cough and almost collapse at canter, so that lasted no more than 3 days.

I've resorted to putting him back on green HH but he has started being naughty again after only 2 days - spinning when ridden and gnashing at the tying up string.

Do you think he will eat the blue HH eventually if I tough it out? He's a bit fat at the moment so some weight loss wouldn't bother me but I'm a bit concerned about gut health if he is on hunger strike.

What do you think?

splash30

Visit site
What about trying a different brand? I know it can be a hassle esp if u have brought in bulk, I had a cob which did the same would eat certain foods for a while then point blank refuse to eat it from one day to the next - very annoying.
Any way I would not put up with the behaviour issues and see if another brand or HH Timothy will make a difference

Ali16

Visit site
Hi there,

We had a similar thing recently with one of our dressage horses (thread here:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=499911 )

He was on haylage (also has slight respiratory issues) and followed a feeding program specifically designed for him by our nutritionist.

Bloods also came back for him, but it turned out that he had developed a sudden sugar intolerance.

We changed him onto the JUSTGRASS from Simple Systems:

http://www.simplesystemhorsefeeds.co.uk/products/feeds.asp?id=2&name=Other Forages

Just a suggestion. Hope you sort your pony - I know how worrying it can be.

MegaBeast

Visit site
Try mixing the blue and the green together initially and then gradually increase the ratio of blue and decrease the green until he has switched over entirely. IF the change is gradual then it will be less noticable to him.

lisab

Visit site
Hallelujah! I've just done a 46 mile round trip from Coventry to the Hungry Horse in Sutton Coldfield and got some Timothy. And got the beastie in... His Maj attacked his net with gusto :)