Fussy eater/weight gain/feeding oil

amy_b

Visit site
I have a fussy eater, currently on one Stubbs scoop bailey cond nuts, 1/2 Stubbs scoop Alfa A oil and protexin (for 2 months) 2x daily
He won't eat a wet feed such as A&P c&c or fast fibre (including sugar beet!!)
Considering feeding him oil,
1)which one?
2) could it affect his weight noticeably?!
At the moment he looks like a fit eventer but would like a bit more of a covering on him.
Open to other suggestions...! (No barley)

be positive

Visit site
If he won't eat a wet feed he is unlikely to eat one with enough oil in to make a real difference to his weight, you would need to give around a mug full to add the calories required, try micronised linseed, high calorie and protein would just need dampening slightly as it can be dusty, although it may stick to the alfa oil, I would increase the alfa if he will eat more of it.

applecart14

Visit site
http://www.rowenbarbary.co.uk/horse_feed_products/conditioning/36

Have you tried the mash range from Rowen Barbary? I was giving my horse the Ready Mash Extra to give him a little more energy but didn't realise it would put on so much weight.

Shame as he absolutely adored it and his coat gleamed!

This is what they say about the solution mash:

With no cereals and a very low starch and sugar content (under 1% total sugar) it is suitable for feeding to horses and ponies that suffer from Laminitis, Cushings, Insulin Resistance and EPSM. The high levels of oils provide an excellent source of slow release energy whilst helping horses to achieve the required body condition and perfecting a great coat bloom.

Last edited:

ktj1891

Visit site
I have my guy pretty much on what you have yours on bar the proxetin and he also doesn't particularly like wet feed, I would either perservere with wet feed and feed him speedibeet and linseed. Or my guy is now on Pure condition which has improved his condition no end!

amy_b

Visit site
I don't think he would eat it Applecart as it has to be soaked.
I have persevered, he ate fast fibre for a while but then went off it again, he sifts through go feed and leaves it at the bottom. I had him on sugarbeet for a while, again he just left it all at the bottom :( he did eventually start eating it if I only fed him a tiny bit and mixed it with the chaff but the amount I am able to hide from him isn't worth feeding...! Then as soon as I push it too far and he notices he won't eat is feed again!!! He will eat a damp feed but nothing mushy.
Might give the oil a go, quite cheap to try. Which one is best for weight gain?

paulineh

Visit site
As you are already feeding Baileys No4 ,I would add their Outshine, a high oil feed.

I have a mare that is fussy, one day she will eat it dry and the next she will eat it wet. She is now 23 and does need some weight on her. Her feed is Alfa Oil, Baileys Conditioning cubes and Outshine. I have just introduced the Hilton Herbs "Thrive and Shine" and it has helped to increase her appetite.

We also add grass nuts to all their feeds which is helping until the grass comes through.

ktj1891

Visit site
KT what is pure condition?

Its a complete feed for weight gain based on same philosophy as simple systems but has more ompffhh in it lol. Its got all their balanced vits/mins and prebiotics.
My fussy guy loves it and has put on much condition and weight. Only downside is its quite expensive but then if you calculate up all your different bags of feed and if you feed at the reccomended weight then its not really more expensive.

I go through a bag a week and I also feed micronised linseed.