Gahhhh ...Missy is .....

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
not lame but has alot of swelling in her hind leg , I am thinking its probably due to the fall she had in the box , Although she was fine after it and went on to win classes in the inhand show that followed ...On the same day
crazy.gif

Had her out last night and she wasnt lame, no pain in it at all .

Trotted her out this morning and no pain or lameness .

Anyhoos ...Do I bandage her ?? ....Keep her in box rest or do I walk her inhand .
I'm hoping I can manage it without having to get the vet out .

If she was lame it would be a different story .

Shes been cold hosed twice/three times a day .

And just bloody typical ...balmoral is this thursday week .
mad.gif
frown.gif

Just got some bute today ...So shes had some this morning .

mattilda

Visit site
Turn her out. Moving should help to take the swelling down. Tbh I wouldn't bother with the bute if there is no pain as there doesn't seem to be any point. If it hasn't gone down in a couple of days then I would get the vet.

mattilda

Visit site
Oh yes I forgot it's British Summertime!! Yep walk her out for half an hour or so, that should bring the swelling down. Maybe icepack it as well. I think you are right and she knocked herself when she went down.
How's Tikka doing?

checkmate1

Visit site
Oh dear, hopefully it will go down! Personally I wouldn't bute because if she does go lame it will mask it and and she isn't lame so whats the point. I would cold hose and bandage, esp if she is in 24/7 but rebandage twice daily and if you can't turnout in field/arena I'd walk her out as much as poss. Poor Missy
frown.gif

only_me

Visit site
Personally i wouldnt bute it, as that could mask the problem - i know first hand, merlin had VERY strong painkillers into vein last year, and was still 2/10th lame on them
crazy.gif
when he came off them = crippled
frown.gif

I presume that she has just given it a knock or a sprain, imo you should bangage, maybe not the swollen one but the other one for support
smile.gif

Has she any little nicks anywhere? Also just give her foot a check with hoof testers, there could have been a little abcess brewing in there which just coincided with her fall
tongue.gif

IMO i would chuck her out in arena, and hopefully she will be sensible and mooch around, you can stick a rug on her to keep her warm
smile.gif
that should solve it
smile.gif

she will be as right as rain before balmoral; just check the rules on bute for show!

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
Bute is an anti-inflammatory as well as an painkiller, so it will be doing some good in getting the swelling down. If you just give her one a day (large horses like her should be getting at least one twice a day) you will not mask any lameness that occurs.

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Bute is an anti-inflammatory as well as an painkiller, so it will be doing some good in getting the swelling down. If you just give her one a day (large horses like her should be getting at least one twice a day) you will not mask any lameness that occurs.

[/ QUOTE ]

See that was my thinking ......Using the bute to act as an anti inflammatory , Like you say one a day, Shes not in the slightest lame on it .

So its just getting the swelling under control .

Anyhoos ....Must head out to the yard get her looked at , see if it has gone down any .

And the weather is just glorious ......
smirk.gif
Gloriously wet and windy
smirk.gif