gain nutrition statement

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
GAIN Equine Nutrition wishes to advise that it is investigating the potential presence of a contaminant in some batches of our equine feed range.

Until further investigations are completed, GAIN customers are advised to refrain from feeding our equine products to their animals.

The contaminant, Zilpaterol, is a synthetic beta-agonist approved for use as a performance-enhancer in some beef production systems outside of the EU.

It is important to stress that this synthetic substance has never formed part of any formulation in any of our animal nutrition ranges.

A potential issue was first alerted to us based on positive test results from France Galop from some horses fed on our products in France.

Following receipt of this information, our quality and control team immediately commenced testing our feed products, both retained samples and also product in the market.

Immediately on receipt of a positive test result on some individual feed samples this morning, Friday 2 October, we commenced the process of notifying all the relevant authorities and customers. We are working closely with all appropriate agencies, including the Irish Department of Agriculture, to fully investigate the source of this contamination.

We will provide a more detailed update once more information is available.

Martin Ryan, Head of GAIN Equine said:

“We apologise sincerely to our valued customers for the inconvenience caused by this incident and we are committed to promptly keeping you fully informed. A thorough investigation and trace back of all feed ingredient sources is underway as a matter of urgency to determine how this external contaminant could have found its way into some batches of our equine product.”

https://www.gainequinenutrition.com...ezcHSIiMo4Fj7FVuuuNPSL_z_2x9-Bii1HCcFtRWAJvGM[/QUOTE]

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
frustrating because I'm about running out.... Opticare was still on the shelves at my local feed merchants this morning! Will have to swap for now. hope they can resolve this.

Visit site
The money the racing side will cost them. Ballydoyle could sue for an endless amount, even future stud fees you would think, although that would be hard to prove. Truly terrible.

Coolmore will take them to the cleaners. It's cost them 4 runners in one of the biggest races in Europe that also looks very good in the stud page. The 76k supplementary fee for Serpentine is literally pocket change to them but to have a Derby winner with the Arc on his page too will cost them stud fees.

Clodagh

Visit site
Coolmore will take them to the cleaners. It's cost them 4 runners in one of the biggest races in Europe that also looks very good in the stud page. The 76k supplementary fee for Serpentine is literally pocket change to them but to have a Derby winner with the Arc on his page too will cost them stud fees.

And so they should. There are no excuses for this happening. Good luck to them!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I have a vague recollection of something similar happening at Spillers many years ago, except that in that instance it was contamination from poppies which had got into some of the raw materials, I think the wind had blown seeds into the crop fields and enough had got into the cut to cause an issue, Im also 99% certain it was detected in routine tests before any horses were affected. At the time Spillers feed was manufactured in a mill that also produced farm feeds and the lengths they went to in order to avoid contamination from anything allowed in farm animals but not competing horses was amazing. I cannot imagine how a man made substance has been able to get into the feed, other than a huge cock up, even more that it got as far as feedrooms, and I can quite believe this will be a financial disaster for Gain

TPO

Visit site
Gemma Tattersall has posted that she is withdrawing her horses from their planned runs because she can't run the risk that they've eaten contaminated feed.

That's a lot of money down the drain and disappointed owners too I'd reckon.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Lucky person who drew that short straw thursday to make the call.

Roget Varian pulled his runners too. A difficult season with so many cancellations in every equestrian sport topped by contaminated food. Not a great year. ?

Reactions: TPO

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I missed the start of this, did someone find it in the feed and tell them or was a horse tested? or their routine feed testing?

Nicnac

Visit site
It also affected at least two of the horses competing at the Keysoe International young horse dressage champs which were pulled from the start list. Very sad for all involved and affected.

Steerpike

Visit site
It has also happened with Saracen in the past, it took a lot of money for an endurance rider to clear her name because of their feed contamination.