Gaining back confidence

sherry90

Visit site
Just after a few tips/advice.

My boy has been perfect to hack out, not put a foot wrong in quite heavy traffic, lorries, tractors, bikes etc.
However, the other week out with a friend from the yard, a quad bike came scooting behind us at about 40mph. He slowed down when he saw us but a little late, he'd almost passed us! (We had hi-viz on just to note). Since then, when at the back of the ride he has been a little nervy when vehicles are approaching, and rightly slow. The last time this happened he had a small fright. However, I am unsure how to go about building his confidence back up. He is not dangerous per se he just scoots 'underneath me' like a spring but doesn't actually go anywhere but I can feel him getting agitated. It's most definitely a flight reaction rather than being naughty. My plan was to take him out with the group and place him in the middle so he has confidence from feeling others behind him and slowly move him to the back over a few weeks of doing this?

PerfectPony

Visit site
My boy had a similar experience.. a very fast van. He didn't spook, just hunched up and felt uptight. All I did was to ignore him... Think it worked as he is much better with all traffic now... Will even approach the combine and take a polo off the wheel ...

showaddy1

Visit site
My daughters mare had a similar experience... A car was going way too fast to slow down and was literally a hair away from her back end... The mare shot forward and landed on my mares ample bottom. It took ages to get her confidence back but I didn't change anything, just kept up with hacking out, lots of confident riding. Its a shame how easy one careless driver can ruin a lifetime of hard work with a horse.