Gaited horse what does this mean pls?

indie999

Visit site
What does a gaited horse mean...is it going to run rather than do walk trot canter transitions???Not sure tried googling? thanks

doratheexplorer

Visit site
Search american saddlebred on google and you will see!! They have an extra gait, I personally don't like it, and they have some pretty questionable practises with shoeing...

Went to a show yard in Kentucky a month ago...

ElphabaFae

Visit site
American Saddlebreds, Tennesse Walking Horses are gaited, if you look it up on Youtube you'll see what they mean.

Also some people consider Icelandic ponies are gaited, because they have a pace called Tolt, which I believe is like a fast running trot.

Harness racing horses also have a special gait called a pace, they also have a nothing one but I can't remember exactly what it is called sorry!

indie999

Visit site
Sorry I did Pm one of you but it looks like a fast trotting horse is this correct???

Not your typical walk trot canter!!! One ad mentions it the one I responded to doesnt.

I dont think I will bother?? Not for hacking really is it?

ElphabaFae

Visit site
Depends on the breed, the american saddlebred / tennesse walking horses were bred to be comfy for long hours in the saddle, but if it was my horse, I don't think I would bother :)

indie999

Visit site
Hi
The ad says irish! It looks quite cobby 16.3h bigger than I was looking. I am not sure now. Just want a normal horse! I have looked at the american saddle bred on google and dont like the look of them, they look like they are running in fast trot. My old boy was used for driving and he was an effort to get into canter but had the most fantastic trot!

Thank you for the replies though am having a think as am fed up wasting time looking around

Orangehorse

Visit site
All saddle horses used to be amblers as it was more comfortable for long distance riding.
Lots of these horses went to the New World with the Spanish when they were doing their conquering (sp), as the same time in Europe dressage was becoming popular and the army also found that a horse trotting was able to do more work and the amblers gradually died out.

I was once told that the REAL meaning of "gaited" was a horse that was fully trained in all the classical dressage, including spanish walk and spanish trot - and if you see a video of spanish trot it looks just like the modern gaited breeds doing their stuff at a show. Now gaited just means that the horses do have that extra gait, which is very smooth and ground covering and is natural, although enhanced with training.

But we won't venture into the training methods, age of show horses, etc.etc.

indie999

Visit site
I only want to go hacking so am now wondering if this is really what I want? Just want a normal horse(if such a thing exists)

Am sort of getting the impression it will run! and run???

EstherYoung

Visit site
A gaited horse is generally one that has one or more additional 'lateral' gaits. One could be the running walk or rack (depending on speed - called Tolt in Icelandics, or called ambling in old fashioned english riding horses, it's like a 4 beat smooth trot which can range from slow and smooth to very fast with a moment of suspension) and the other could be pace (a two beat gait where the legs move together on one side). The horse may or may not also be able to trot normally.

With the description I'd hazard a guess that it's some sort of standardbred, otherwise they'd be making a big think out of the breeding. Pacing is common in standardbreds bred for harness racing, as they can move very fast like that. They can make useful riding horses though - fast and tough.

The horse shouldn't just run and run if its been well schooled. However, if its not established in a normal trot as well, you may find the conventional horse world looks down on you should you go showing etc. And sometimes you'll get a gaited horse that will trot, but the trot looks quite stilted because it's not the horse's natural prefered gait. It depends on what you want from a horse and whether you don't mind being a bit unusual.

A lot of horses do have a residual 5th gait. Both our arabs will show a running walk if they're very excited, for example. I did a bit of work with H's running walk once as a bit of an experiment and it is definitely there - I'm no way a precise enough rider to mess with it though and not ruin his other paces so I've mostly left well alone unless that's what he happens to give me.

indie999

Visit site
Thank you very much for you replies I think before I travel I will give the seller a ring to find out. I dont want a horse that runs as such ie fast trot etc etc or walk. Sounds like my hacks could end up being a big rush!