Gaiters or Long Boots

Who do you want to win the may common room horse/pony of the month award?

• Total voters

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
I want to treat myself to some new show boots. Should I go jod boots and gaiters or long boots ???? I find half chaps sooooo comfy. I was looking at Tredstep gaiters which are in the sale at my local saddlery with the matching boots. I like Ariat but pretty pricey - boots and gaiters = £214 OR long boots. However they need to be really soft. I have some Regent ones in the past which were so damn hard I couldn't walk for days each time I used them ?

Pro's and con's for each on a postcard please !

p.s. If this poll works, it will be a minor miracle !

miller

Visit site
Long boots every time - personally I hate gaiters
crazy.gif

UKa

community.webshots.com
if it is only for shows and you have the money then yes, long boots are nice. I personally however, loooove gaiters because I wear them all the time for riding and can take them off while doing things around the yard. I can't afford all sorts of equipment at the same time so my short boot gaiter combo goes everywhere, from hacking and schooling to sponsored rides and shows...

calon

Visit site
boots look smart , but so do gaiters and i find much easier to wear and u can just take them off between classes boots ar so hard to walk in i find but love my gaiters

juliehannah58

Visit site
It has to be long boots!

I too had some Regent ones in the past and they were god awful things! No zips and it took me ages to get them off! LOL!

Now I have a lovely pair of Soubirac boots with zip ups and they are LOVELY! The leather is so soft and from day one I could walk around for hours and be comfortable. I was lucky I got mine at Badders one year for £65 as they had a small scratch. I think they are about £200 new but I have seen a few pairs on ebay. I would recommend them
smile.gif

Chumsmum

Visit site
Oh b*gger - I bought some new Regent boots off ebay for £22 and thought I had a bargain but they are still really stiff! Any tips for softening the leather - can I use the Flexalan stuff I use on my tack??
I love the look of boots but agree that gaiters are far more comfortable

juliehannah58

Visit site
Only tip I can give is it wear, wear and wear some more! I was hoovering in mine LOL! But that was probably because I couldn't get the b*ggers off! LOL! I always use normal tack / leather soap on mine and they come up like new
smile.gif
I had my regents for years and although they gave a bit, they were still uncomfortable compared to the modern designs, but they do look very smart!
smile.gif

Chumsmum

Visit site
I wore them round Sainsburys and cripped myself - then had to fight to get them off!! I will get the saddle soap out and see if that helps.
Don't hoover that often so they will be as stiff this time next year if I wear them to do the housework
blush.gif

They do look very smart - thanks for advice!!

lizzie_liz

Visit site
long boots do look smarter and if i had the money i would consider getting a pair of long boots made to measure but u wear gaiters and look smart, i ude dublin boots and mountain horse excelsor (sp) gaiters and they match my boots really well and are a tight foot and does look as i have long boots. of gaiters have wrong sized gaiters they can look a mess. the best gaiters are the ones i have or treadstep gaiters

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Just came back from the tackshop (Frogpool to be precise). Long boots won in the end !! After trying on both gaiters/jod boots combo and long boots - I admit the long boots looked much smarter. I bought the Sergio Grasso ones with zips at the back.

If anyone wants to buy some black sportives, please PM me.

Thanks for all your replies. HB