Galvanised wire instead of electric tape?

diddy

Visit site
I have a serial escapee on my hands! My mare is on a strict diet so has started jumping over into next door, despite new sheep fencing and some pretty serious hedges around the place. As a result, I have been putting out more and more electric fencing, using wooden posts and tape. The field looks a bit shabby to say the least! Just wondering if I can replace the tape with galvanised wire or is that a no-no? Same horse is also the clumsiest creature known to man/woman, so want to stop her upsetting the neighbours but also minimise the risk of injury.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Wire is just asking for an horrific injury! Try using taller posts to keep her where she should be.

She also needs to have something low calorie to eat, have you tried feeding her straw or oat straw chaff?

9tails

Visit site
Galvanised wire and a clumsy fence jumper? Err, no. That stuff won't break and will deglove her legs if she gets caught up.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Put 4 foot plastic posts on top of your wooden posts and 4 strands of powered tape up. First strand at 3 foot to stop limboing underneath then go up to 6 feet on the plastic posts. That stopped my horse. You might need 2 chargers on it. If she jumps that ring Whittaker’s to sell her as the next top show jumper !

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Get rid of the sheep wire and replace with equi fence or all electric. Sheep wire is just an accident waiting to happen. Try taller posts with electric rope or a double line.

JillA

Visit site
I stopped one of mine by putting a second fence a couple of metres inside the main one. And use tape for it - more visible. They usually don't have the confidence to clear a good spread without catching a jolt off it. Worth a try

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Galvanised wire and a clumsy fence jumper? Err, no. That stuff won't break and will deglove her legs if she gets caught up.

Absolutely!! Even the electric rope has high risk - tape will break more quickly so create far less injury - if any. Upping the current is FAR better! THIS is what you can end up with if the wire (or in this case rope) doesn't break - or far worse!! And the pic was taken after 8 weeks of expensive and time consuming care, including a leg brace so she could heal properly. Obviously this yearling was left with a nasty scare and the risk that there was pemanent weakness in tendons (cut right through). Fortunately, she was a well bred 3/4 Irish Draught filly who Graded Appendix Irish Draught and became a good broodmare.

ripple-unwrapped.jpg

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
If she's so hungry that she's jumping out you might also want to consider feeding her straw in the field or think about feeding enrichment to make her food last longer.