Garlic-please read if you feed it.

sam72431

Visit site
I feed garlic due to its antibiotic/ antiseptic properties I have fed it for about six years to all of my horses and not noticed any issues, in fact when they stopped having it i noticed that one of thems mud fever got worse, that article was very interesting though! has anyone now decided to stop feeding garlic?

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
"No well-designed, formal research has been conducted on the ill effects of lower doses of garlic on horses. But, to be fair, there also hasn't been any well-designed, formal research on the benefits of garlic in horses."

I am sorry- that is not an excellant or informative report on garlic. from what I read it is a report on a poorly conducted feed trial of wild onions. There was no mention of a proper scientific control, or the veterinary establishment the trial took place in.

I know that if I don't feed garlic my horses pick up the ticks dropped by the deer. they are on a fen so it keeps midges at bay, I know this because I see the difference.

My vets ran a conference on the effects of joint supplements. Their opening and closing line was- if horse supplements are scientifically tested they legally have to become controlled substances and handed out by a vet or SQP. Therefore no trial on supplements has definite scientific basis.

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I've never fed garlic, and I've been questioning people I know on why they feed it for years - (they all think I'm the mad one for questioning it) I've known of the onion toxity and the close relationship to garlic, so in my mind it always seemed an odd supplement to feed to horses.

maggiesmum

Visit site
I haven't fed garlic for a few years, I always used to feed it because I believed all the sales pitches that it would keep flys away, it was only when I ran out that my old mare perked up, I'd though she was just showing signs of age but after some experimentation it seemed to be the garlic affection her. Without the garlic the old age symptoms I thought she had went!

C&C

Visit site
Interesting. I had a podiastrist out to my new horse when i first had him and she told me this about Garlic. I stopped feeding it right away. Up until then my old boy had been having Garlic all his life!!! I have never had any probs but have stopped feeding it all the same.

hessy12

Visit site
"No well-designed, formal research has been conducted on the ill effects of lower doses of garlic on horses. But, to be fair, there also hasn't been any well-designed, formal research on the benefits of garlic in horses."

I am sorry- that is not an excellant or informative report on garlic. from what I read it is a report on a poorly conducted feed trial of wild onions. There was no mention of a proper scientific control, or the veterinary establishment the trial took place in.

I know that if I don't feed garlic my horses pick up the ticks dropped by the deer. they are on a fen so it keeps midges at bay, I know this because I see the difference.

My vets ran a conference on the effects of joint supplements. Their opening and closing line was- if horse supplements are scientifically tested they legally have to become controlled substances and handed out by a vet or SQP. Therefore no trial on supplements has definite scientific basis.
Thank you for your excellent post, which I agree with wholeheartedly. As a scientist myself, I can see exactly what your point is about lack of controlled studies (double blind).

howsthat

Visit site
Sorry but have used garlic on the dogs and horses for many years,with no apparent ill effects,feel that the "results" of this study are like so many others over the years
especially the ones directed at us humans lol Don't eat eggs avoid this that and the other when pregnant, dairy is bad for you red meat is not good , all surveys can be manipulated to produce a result so if you feed garlic and you and your animals are happy with it then the choice is yours.

touchstone

Visit site
Of course each to their own, but anything that destroys my horses' natural gut bacteria that they need to live healthily is a no, no for me.
FDC

In the first link that I posted it states that garlic destroys the pathogens but leaves gut flora unharmed, as do many other websites. I've no idea of the accuracy of this though.

SaharaS

Visit site
ok...as usual am about to put my 2p spanner into the works! How about...horses know what is good & bad for them...& will not eat something they do not need...so following the principles of zoopharmacognosy...if you are unsure to feed or not to feed garlic or any other herb/hedgerow ingredient...why not offer it regularly & if your horse needs it..then they will take it...??just a thought!:) please no lynching/stone throwing!(I have a vile throbbing headache...if you must please throw chocolates & nice things at me instead!:D)

touchstone

Visit site
Lol Sarah S - you can have all my chocolates left from xmas, I'm trying to eat healthily :D

The thing about self medicating though is that I don't entirely trust my horse's judgement:eek: I know for certain that a sugary molasses lick would be demolished in seconds, as would a field of lush green grass, both which could be damaging to her. The danger of leaving free access to something would be over consumption. I think in the case of garlic it can be quite an acquired taste that needs introducing gradually, although most horses seem to like it when they are used to it.

SaharaS

Visit site
Lol Sarah S - you can have all my chocolates left from xmas, I'm trying to eat healthily :D

The thing about self medicating though is that I don't entirely trust my horse's judgement:eek: I know for certain that a sugary molasses lick would be demolished in seconds, as would a field of lush green grass, both which could be damaging to her. The danger of leaving free access to something would be over consumption. I think in the case of garlic it can be quite an acquired taste that needs introducing gradually, although most horses seem to like it when they are used to it.

Sorry I should have been more specific...self medicating with malassed lick or lush grass would be like leaving me in charge of your chocolates! You soon wouldn't have any!!!:D Any horse that gorged on garlic would be a rare one esp if fed raw & whole as I do...grass would be pointless..they would have it molassed too if they could...& barrowed into their stables while they recline with 2 legged slaves keeping the supply constant! Thank you for throwing your chocolates at me...gald you didn't keep them in the fridge or I would have black eyes too!;-)x

Fransurrey

Visit site

Really? Are they not aware then of the testing carried out on consumer health products, such as detergents, analgesics, heartburn and digestive aids?? Not to mention wormers and permethrin, which are available as non-POM. I think your vets need a little trip to Unilever, Pfizer, Novartis, Mars...I could go on!

I don't feed garlic as it's a gut irritant and not selective with regards to its antibiotic properties. Having a SI mare and an IR gelding, diet and balanced gut microflora is critical to both!

mightymammoth

Visit site
Interesting post, I used to feed it because it repelled flies but didnt notice a big difference last summer. Have stopped using it now as he seems to have gone off the taste, and was sick of people commenting his stable smelt like a take away on a friday night :)

Bills

Visit site
Think I'll knock the garlic on the head too. Plus the granules I use have gone up considerably at my feed merchants, so will save me a few quid too!!