Garlic

Bugly

Visit site
The horse I have on loan is fed x 3 scoops of garlic granules a day, over 2 feeds to help with his respiration. I don't like the granules; they seem dusty themselves and are made of Chinese garlic which doesn't seem very 'green' to me!

I was wondering if anyone who has a horse with bad wind (my boy gets quite allot of mucus but is really well at the moment as he's living out) has any tips for more natural supplements to feed.

I have been reading about Super Soltivax oil with Garlic and Eucalyptus which sounded good but what about feeding straight crushed garlic or maxing up my own elxir?

flyingfeet

Visit site
You could mix up your own mixture. I'm lazy so buy the gold label stuff which is honey, garlic, and I think some kind of menthol ingredient.

I don't see why you cannot make your own, although it is kind of stinky!

K27

Visit site
You could consider using a different make of Garlic Granule? I feed mine Garlic granules and they are not dusty (we feed the feeds damp ), Garlic is completely natural anyway!

in the past I've used Hilton herbs or Equimins Airways for respiratory probs and also Equine America do a powder or liquid with Glycerine in it that works well as does the NAF 5* Respirator, not sure how "natural" they are but they do work.

Bugly

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You could consider using a different make of Garlic Granule? I feed mine Garlic granules and they are not dusty (we feed the feeds damp ), Garlic is completely natural anyway!

in the past I've used Hilton herbs or Equimins Airways for respiratory probs and also Equine America do a powder or liquid with Glycerine in it that works well as does the NAF 5* Respirator, not sure how "natural" they are but they do work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I feed them damp...but granules have been processed so they are not natural; especially when they have travelled 3,000 miles from china! Thanks for the other tips.

teddyt

Visit site
nettles. rich in antioxidants to support healthy lungs. Cut them out of the hedge, leave to wilt and feed. 0 food miles and good fo the horse

jessquoi

Visit site
we just by kilo bags of garlic powder, designed for catering and mix in with beet, its much cheaper than the granules which are just a gimmick really. also ours have been known to eat garlic cloves now and again equaling very stinky breath!

Hemirjtm

Visit site
We just give ours garlic cloves!! It's the cheapest by far
wink.gif
In fact we have planted some in our garden so next year they will be eating home grown garlic!! I do have garlic granules just in case i run out of cloves, but it was so expensive that I'm going to stick to the cloves!! (I mash them up a bit first then mix them into their feeds!)