Gastric maintenance supplements post ulcers

Melody Grey

Visit site
My horse has just finished a lengthly course of omeprazole (since February!) and having run out of insurance money, I’m keen for the ulcers not to return! We have had SI issues which now seem to be largely resolved.

My. vet has suggested Equitop Pronutrin as a maintenance supplement, but at around £100/ month, I can’t stretch to it with Vets bills on top. What have people used as alternatives?

Melody Grey

Visit site
My friend uses Protexin Acid Ease for her mare after treatment for ulcers. She was treated for ulcers about 18 months ago and as far as we’re aware they haven’t returned
Thanks- I’ve used protexin before both on its own and in pink mash. I may feed pink mash again which contains protexin as we come into winter, but read somewhere on here recently that some people dislike it as it contains soya and linseed I think? Anyone have any opinions?

Griffin

Visit site
I quite like Protexin, I have used it with horses (and rabbits of all things), it's very easy to get hold of too.

I believe things like aloe vera and sea buckthorn have been shown to help in humans, so it may be worth looking at whether they help horses too.

Management can be helpful in reducing the recurrence of ulcers too e.g. reducing stress if possible, hanging up two hay nets in opposite parts of the stable to mimic grazing, giving two days off a week.

splash30

Visit site
Equine Edge Gastro pro and then there are lesser ones down so 3 stage options. I have a different horse using them. The owner is really helpful.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
in feed. I was buying it for an ulcery horse by the 5 litres on Ebay. I have an unopened bottle you can have cheap if you live anywhere i can drop it off. The horse died, but it wasn't related to the gut! It's about £8 a litre and you feed 25ml a day, so it lasts 40 days to a litre.

They tested it against omeprazole in horses with ulcers and it worked. Not as well as omeprazole to cure them, but as a preventative I think it's spot on.

dixie

Visit site
I’m using Aloe Vera and mint.
sometimes I use Pysllium too.
He’s the best he’s ever been since I’ve had him now.

I’ve also used Ron Fields powder that was good and then slippery elm/meadowsweet.

I’ve analysed many of the supplements as they all vary so much but prefer to buy the ingredients separately.

catembi

Visit site
AloeRide? My ex-racer had ulcers, scoped, gastro guard etc. He used to get a gassy colic every 2-3 months but on AloeRide he hasn't had any. Whenever we've run out because I've been disorganised, he has had a gassy within about 10-14 days. It is so easy to feed as it's a tasteless powder, whereas I think the juice is a bit yeuch & you need lots of it.

ycbm

Visit site
AloeRide? My ex-racer had ulcers, scoped, gastro guard etc. He used to get a gassy colic every 2-3 months but on AloeRide he hasn't had any. Whenever we've run out because I've been disorganised, he has had a gassy within about 10-14 days. It is so easy to feed as it's a tasteless powder, whereas I think the juice is a bit yeuch & you need lots of it.

You don't need lots of it, you need 25ml. Mine ate it without even noticing it.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have tried all manner of supplementation but, after extensive (and expensive) 'testing' :rolleyes: what worked best for me has been... cutting hard feed out altogether.

Dry hay (unlimited and 2 types at 2 different areas of the stable) and grass. Less stress. Much more effective than adding additives for us.

I have found that most of my horses haven't needed hard feed. I have even had them gain weight on a no feed diet compared to feeding up. Probably because their gut is comfortable and they are relaxed!

I have had 3 horses come here skinny, became fat. Less is more. I do keep them warm enough (a contentious point on its own :p) and they have some turnout every day.

This is including when in ridden work and for grassroots competition. Even when doing what is now CCI** (long format) eventing, my horse was only on a scoop of Spillars horse and pony nuts twice a day with a bot of chaff. That was a lot of work and not much extra feed! I think most everyday horses are just fine on hay/grass, once they have finished growing.

Mildlander

Visit site
I've started using Aloe vera and certainly think it's helping my mare.
ycbm - how did you work out the dosage for your horse. As the bottle said 25ml for a human I upped it to 100ml for the horse as a guestimate! but would be happy to reduce the quantity if I could.
She certainly eats it up quite happily, I also use Acid ease and added in the aloe vera when mare seemed a bit more girthy.

ycbm

Visit site
I've started using Aloe vera and certainly think it's helping my mare.
ycbm - how did you work out the dosage for your horse. As the bottle said 25ml for a human I upped it to 100ml for the horse as a guestimate! but would be happy to reduce the quantity if I could.
She certainly eats it up quite happily, I also use Acid ease and added in the aloe vera when mare seemed a bit more girthy.

My bottle said 25ml 3 times a week for a horse :) I gave it every day though. He never got symptoms of ulcers again even though he still had arthritis, so I think it worked.

ycbm

Visit site
From Barrier Aloe Vera, currently under £40 for 5 litres on ebay:

More Information
Contents
Concentrated aloe vera.

Directions for use
Shake well. Apply directly to wounds, sunburn and skin disorders to help protect and aid natural healing.

Feed direct, add to drinking water or mix with feed.

Always replace cap after use.

Feeding guidelines
Recommended feeding guide for horses and ponies

5-10ml up to 100kg body weight
10-15ml - 100-250kg body weight
15-20ml - 250-500kg body weight
General well being - Feed one measure 3 times per week
Run down/lethargic - Feed one measure daily for 7 days
Recovering/elderly - Feed one measure daily for 14 days

MuffettMischief

Visit site
From Barrier Aloe Vera, currently under £40 for 5 litres on ebay:

More Information
Contents
Concentrated aloe vera.

Directions for use
Shake well. Apply directly to wounds, sunburn and skin disorders to help protect and aid natural healing.

Feed direct, add to drinking water or mix with feed.

Always replace cap after use.

Feeding guidelines
Recommended feeding guide for horses and ponies

5-10ml up to 100kg body weight
10-15ml - 100-250kg body weight
15-20ml - 250-500kg body weight
General well being - Feed one measure 3 times per week
Run down/lethargic - Feed one measure daily for 7 days
Recovering/elderly - Feed one measure daily for 14 days

I don’t suppose you had a link for where you get yours? The only 5l one I can find in stock on eBay is £100 which sounds rather a lot!