Gastric Ulcer help.....

olop

Visit site
I am suspicious that my boy has gastric ulcers (he has all of a sudden become very girthy & I am finding his perfomnace has dropped slightly)

I was talking to a lady at my yard who said the vet can only diagnose them with a scope for which he will need to be starved for 24 hours (her boy had ulcers & she said if she had to she would never put a horse through itagain). My boy is very funny & has issues with food as he was a neglect case so I am reluctant to go down that route, but obviously I will if it comes to it.

She said that I could buy a supplement that may help towards them rather than go down the scope route - is this right & does anyone know what kind of supplement they would recommend.

TIA.

whizzer

Visit site
The only way to diagnose is scoping & the only way to cure is Gastrogard. Supplements only help them feel more comfortable if they've got them,but can along with correct diet,can prevent re-occurence,but no supplement will heal them.
My horse was scoped twice this year & I only had to starve for 12 hrs before & they booked the appointments for 1st thing in the morning so I could just load up & go & he wasn't standing about all morning without food.
You could try gastrogard without scoping but it is very expensive so pointless if he doesn't have them..... Also insurance won't pay up for gastrogard without them being scoped 1st.
I think the starvation is worth 'putting them through',surely got to be better then having the ulcers?!? I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if nec.
Ring your vets & get them to talk you through the protocol they advise prior to scoping.

Mary Poppins

Visit site
My boy was like yours - very girthy, loss of appetite and his performance just "wasn't quite right" and I suspected ulcers.

I phoned the Vet and explained his symptoms, and they said without scoping they couldn't determine whether he had ulcers or not.

I bought some Coligone powder and would recommend it to everyone - I have had brilliant results with it. My boy will stand to be tacked up and doing the girth up is no problem now.

olop

Visit site
Thank you both for the replies - going to give my vet a buzz this afternoon & ask what there proceedure is. My boy isnt insured anyway so will see if they would prescribe it on his symptoms alone.
Thanks MP - will have a google & see if it will be suitable.
Thanks again :)