Gastric Ulcers

Madam_max

Visit site
I have posted in Vet section, but with little help :(

Basically, I have had my new boy since October and he has always been girthy and really blows out. He has been quite hard to get weight on also, although he had been eventing all summer and was a little leaner that I would have liked.

He ha built a bit more topline, but he has never got over his problem with his girth. He was a bit tricky to get on when I first got him, but he has got a lot better.

Basically he's a very laid back horse and actually more on the lazy side, but it seems that when I ask for medium trot he can explode. It's not a problem of him being fresh as I could have ridden him for 40 mins before this happens. I just wondered if the extra pressure of my legs upsets him.

Anyway this week things have come to a head as he was not eating a thing, so I got the vet out and she said he was really gassy, so I gave him 3 days off, made sure he was eating again and 'right'. Today I got on him to hack him out and although he was good with his saddle going on, whenever I put my leg on his shoulder to tighten his girth he ran back and 100 mph and meant it. I hacked him down the road and distracted him, by letting him talk to his friend and managed to tighten his girth. Now I mean I really need to tighten it as he blows out so badly, you could fit a bus between his girth and belly once on.

Thoughts please?:rolleyes:

_jetset_

Visit site
If he is insured I would consider getting him scoped.

My mare is a little like this and she had ulcers but she is now clear and is still funny with her girth. I think some of it is learned behaviour too so perhaps put the saddle on and off 20 times in one day until he stops reacting as much and see whether it could be behaviour...

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Did the vet suggest ulcers?

It would be worth scoping him, for the cost of around £150 you get peace of mind knowing if he has or hasn't and can look for something else or treat for that.

I know you will have already checked back/saddle/girth, so it sounds like it would be worth checking.