Gatcombe ballot... totally gutted. Bit of a rant.. sorry!

Ali16

Visit site
So I know that they balloted loads of people (something like 155 on the list) but we were entered for the 2* and the way that they have balloted that seems rather unfair.

They have balloted the horses with the fewest points. So basically most of the amateurs. For Badders etc I think this is fair enough, but for a 2*?? The reason that my boy is still in Novice points is that I don't go out very often due to working full time, teaching after work and at weekends (including PC) and riding horses we have in for training in morning before work every day. My entry was one of the very first ones in, well before the ballot date.

Amateurs are the life blood of eventing and I think they need to do more at big events like Gatcombe to support us. I really want to get qualified for Advanced next year and really would have liked to get my 2* done and dusted at a course that I know well. I know that Gatcombe have a new sponsor and so want all the big names to run, but without us amateurs BE would simply not exist.

Anyway, trying to divert to to SoE(2) 2*...

Rant over...! Thanks for being patient.. had a rubbish day yesterday and the ballot just topped it off :mad:

lex2501

Visit site
Argh, poor you! I can completely understand your frustration - it tends to completely turn your season upside down when the dreaded ballot happens. I do think that there should be some sort of "first come first served" policy too. It doesn seem unfair that those who are organised get booted out to make way for the big names who may well have entered much later.

Fingers crossed for SoE - entries seem relatively low there so best of luck!

HannahHDEventing

Visit site
You're not alone. I've had exactly the same happen to me in the 1*. I am thoroughly cheesed off...... Grrrrrr to the ballot!
I'm also looking at diverting to SofE, hopefully see you there!

angelish

Visit site
send the sec an email including this ^ explaining you would be available at last min and beg ;)
i did and it paid of for me although they only rang me at 1.30 the day before :eek:

i was only balloted from a 90 but emailed them similar to above ,there was about 70 on the wait list and they took pitty on me and got me in ,its worth a try
good luck

Ali16

Visit site
Thanks for the sympathy guys.. much appriciated today! :eek:

I will send the secratery an email but because of how they ballotted I'm not holding out any hope.

I may just save my 2* run for next year when we will have done a whole winter of Advanced dressage and 1.30m sj and we'll kick the professional's bums (jokes!) :p