GCSEs and Horses?

ponynutz

Visit site
Has anyone got any tips to help me fit in my pony around my seemingly constant pile of homework and revision! It's especially upsetting because my friends, who's parents muck out etc for them, are getting to go out to lots of new Pony Club and other meet-up opportunities. I've missed out on going to Somerford XC, a mass beach hack and countless Mounted Games sessions (and it's my last year)!

Feeling very disheartened and also feel it's not fair on my pony, who is only 9 and used to being an active, competition pony!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Once you've got your exams out of the way you will have a whole summer of pony fun to enjoy - just focus on that. It's not the end of the world missing out on a few months of riding as much as you'd like. You only get one shot at your exams, and if you get it right then you will be able to afford ponies forever 😁

chelebeau

Visit site
I’m afraid you’ll find through out your life there’s always something that disheartens a rider or a passionate horse person . I’ve been 50 years and today I’m as disheartened as you for different reasons . You stick with it and remember the people who cut corners or have help aren’t as good as you’ll be. Your education is key and you’ll make a fine equestrian. Can tell by your post . Good on ya.
Never lose hope . You can only do your best . Your pony loves you . And the bond won’t be broken because you don’t have help . Well done and good luck with the exams

Attachments

• EFB3776E-DCE8-4F1B-A29A-88A19820C1B0.jpeg
    EFB3776E-DCE8-4F1B-A29A-88A19820C1B0.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 3

pippixox

Visit site
Schedule riding into your revision/course work time table. You need a break and they need exercise. But you have to be efficient and sacrifice hole days out with them while school work is ramping up for GCSEs

As above has said, its part of life as an adult. You will have work and not endless free time in weekends and long school holidays I’m afraid! But you learn to find a balance.

I had my horse on part livery when at school so at weekends I would either go up first thing, or make myself work hard and go up in the afternoon for a much needed ride once I could not get my brain to work anymore!!!

pippixox

Visit site
Also you could sometimes try and do a very quick trip out- I know places tend to have things like clear rounds first in the morning, when there is less waiting around. Plus you don’t really need to clean them!

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
could you up your livery package to include yard jobs so you can spend more time with your horse? Or put them out on part loan for a few days a week so they’re getting some exercise and you have more time to revise?x

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I loved my GCSE year, we had weeks off before the exam to self study, which meant days up at the stables. Of course, I didn't do as well in the exams as I *could* have done, but hey, I got to ride my horse. I commend you for making more mature life decisions than I did.

Even though I had time to ride, I would add that I didn't have any transport anyway, had a non horse parent who didn't see why I should compete. She would not have known how to muck out, and I had to walk to the stables. So, as well as making the good decision, I would thank my lucky stars that once the exams are over you have something that sounds nice to ride, a way of being transported and the rest of the summer to enjoy.

One thing I have learned with horses anyway - you never know WHAT will be the best course of action. I have moved mountains on occasion to get to a particular training event or competition, only to have it all go wrong on the day. So, who knows? If you had gone to the XC training event you may have hurt the pony or yourself. I am not saying not to make an effort to make stuff happen, just that when it is not possible have half a mind that it *could* have saved you from an awful day.

PS. I always found horse competitions more fun than pony one anyway, and you can do those for the rest of your life. Time enough.

oldie48

Visit site
Being organised and getting straight down to school work will help a good deal. I didn't prevent my daughter from riding/competing through GCSE's and "A" levels, she also continued to play other sports but she was very busy and there were times when things got rushed or she had deadlines tht meant she had to make difficult choices but it was good preparation for life generally. TBH we all need time to relax and do the things we enjoy but if you want to do well academically it's important to find a balance. Good luck with your GCSE's.

ponies4ever

Visit site
I actually (probably bad decision haha) bought a second pony to keep on diy just before my gcses. I am fortunate in that the old style GCSEs were easier and I have never struggled at school. If you work hard in the evenings then its very manageable to fit in a couple hours to do horses each day. I also found life a lot easier once I was on study leave. Yes there will be a few days where you can only go out to do a quick muck out but most days I was able to ride both. I am doing A levels this year with a horse in rehabbing work and Im confident that I will cope. Good luck with your GCSEs.

Visit site
Know your pony won't mind having some time off: I reduced my horse's workload to just weekends and a maximum of one day during the week in exam season (did GCSEs 2018).
Figure out early what revision techniques work best for you so you're not wasting time; I love Quizlet, mind maps and past revision questions, and put posters up all around the house, but revision cards not so much. (Or not at all actually) so don't waste time on things which don't help you. Also, maximise the time with teachers so you can do as much quality work in as little time as possible. My school organised hour long revision sessions for specific subjects a few times a week which were really useful, so you could talk to your subject teachers about doing that maybe. I'd go straight up to see the horses after one of those sessions on the way home.
I also blocked all social media for a set time frame when I wanted to get work done using an app (I think the one i used was called Cold Turkey?...can't remember) because I am an awful procrastinator. You could also use horses as an incentive to do some good work e.g. if I complete this past paper I will go up and ride for 40 mins or something.

I could have done a better but my results were alright I think, though I will say I went into several exams having done no work at all...don't do that lol it's a terrible idea.

Last edited: