Gelded but Penetrating my mare

Roanyme

New User
Visit site
My pony who was gelded 8 years ago is always drawn and actually penetrates my mare who allows him
I can’t separate them as he goes loopy even if he’s next to her . I don’t want to allow this to continue but apart from an hours turn out then bringing them both back into their stables I’m not sure what to do . Anyone else had this with a gelding ? He wasn’t cut proud and was in a herd with stallions before so until we got him he wasn’t able to display this behaviour

blitznbobs

Visit site
Yes my 11 hh pony used to do this to my 17hh mare (she used to crouch down to let him...) I guess just because they don’t have the hormones it doesn’t take away all the instincts

Roanyme

New User
Visit site
Yes my 11 hh pony used to do this to my 17hh mare (she used to crouch down to let him...) I guess just because they don’t have the hormones it doesn’t take away all the instincts
Gosh , where there’s a will there’s a way I guess ...6h difference was obviously not a barrier 🥺

pippixox

Visit site
It’s a bit off putting to see, but does he ever injure her? Assume he does it more when she is in season.
Mine were in a big mixed herd and one gelding used to on occasion mount my mare and a few others. But he never even scratched them and tended to just be when they first came into season in the spring, not very often at all. So we just ignored it!

Roanyme

New User
Visit site
It’s a bit off putting to see, but does he ever injure her? Assume he does it more when she is in season.
Mine were in a big mixed herd and one gelding used to on occasion mount my mare and a few others. But he never even scratched them and tended to just be when they first came into season in the spring, not very often at all. So we just ignored it!
I’m more worried that he’s going to pull either his back or hers , plus he’s my child’s pony and don’t want him thinking it’s ok to do it when we are hacking ? Or that it may make him billy big boots ?

twiggy2

Visit site
After seeing the injuries that can occur even after long periods of time with no issue, I would work out a way to seperate them.
One of my owners lost a mare when she was sent to stud and turned out with an 'experienced, calm and quiet stallion' she had to be put to sleep.
How long has it been going on for?
The last yard I was at there were 3 Welsh a mares and one gelding, had been turned out together for 4 yrs no issue, then he started mounting them which progressed after a couple of months to penetrating them.
They had him tested he is a confirmed rig and has jabs about once per year but is turned out with one other heading now

Roanyme

New User
Visit site
After seeing the injuries that can occur even after long periods of time with no issue, I would work out a way to seperate them.
One of my owners lost a mare when she was sent to stud and turned out with an 'experienced, calm and quiet stallion' she had to be put to sleep.
How long has it been going on for?
The last yard I was at there were 3 Welsh a mares and one gelding, had been turned out together for 4 yrs no issue, then he started mounting them which progressed after a couple of months to penetrating them.
They had him tested he is a confirmed rig and has jabs about once per year but is turned out with one other heading now
Thank you yes I’m scratching my head working out a way to safely separate them . We’ve had him 5 months and he has been doing it since we got him

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Have you had him properly checked out by a GOOD equine vet. This could be just behavioural - caused by him running with stallions - or he might have an undescended testicle. Is the mare obviously in season when he mounts her? Obviously he could cause serious damage to her - particularly if she is not 'open' - but it would be odd if the mare allowed him when NOT in season (and very unlikely, I should add.)

This is the best explanation of the problem I've found.

http://www.vetfolio.com/surgery/con...-like-stallions-and-what-can-be-done-about-it

Equi

Visit site
It can be a dominance thing too rather than sexual, but I would try and stop it. If he’s doing it when she’s not in season there is a danger of him hurting her insides and making her generally miserable being bullied all the time.

windand rain

Visit site
Pity the mare doesnt boot him into next week. We have a gelding in a mare herd who is very dominant in all ways but they have no sexual intent the girls dont even squeal at him I tell everyone he is gay as they're totally disinterested. Any other gelding causes a furore but not him. As to your problem the best bet would be to separate them by some distance and see how you get on after a break. Or if possible find a mare to turn him out with that will knock some sense into him. The matriach very rarely does serious injury to a naughty boy but they do learn respect

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
My gelding used to do the full hog. Only if the mares were in season though, he couldn’t be bothered with them if they weren’t, he was a grumpy git the vast majority of the time.

fburton

Visit site
It can be a dominance thing too rather than sexual, but I would try and stop it.
I'm pretty sure mounting isn't dominance behaviour in horses.

If he’s doing it when she’s not in season there is a danger of him hurting her insides and making her generally miserable being bullied all the time.
I do agree with you here though. There's a risk he could injury the mare's outsides (back, pelvis) too.

Roanyme

New User
Visit site
Thanx guys ,sorry I have had some computer gitches which meant I wasnt able to respond
thanks for all your suggestions ,im now looking for another yard where I can keep them both seperate as it isnt working where we are