Gelding Advice Please

Quigleyandme

Visit site
The vet has just confirmed he is going to standing geld my two yearlings on Thursday afternoon. I haven’t any stables built due to C19 but I have the shed they shared this winter with a small secure concrete yard outside. Can people please tell me what if anything I need to prepare prior to the procedure and what to expect afterwards like will they need to stay in or can they go out again once the sedative has worn off?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
They should go out when the bleeding is definitely stopped, but a little dripping is expected for up to a couple of days. Movement helps prevent swelling from causing issues. Your vet will tell you that, though. I'd want a lot of very effective fly deterrent on hand. Udder salve, maybe?

EGUSVet

equineulcers.online
A standing castrate is a relatively low risk procedure. As others have said before, movement will help reduce swelling. The wound should not bleed profusely afterwards, but seeing a few small drops for a few days afterwards is normal.

If you do notice some swelling afterwards, a cold hose with gentle pressure for 5-10 minutes should help with the swelling. Discuss this with your vet after the procedure if he/she does not mention it in post-op discussion.