Gelding Digging

Araby

Visit site
Every now and then my 9 year old gelding digs holes in his field, today's one must of come half way up his cannon bone and about 24" wide, I've googled causes ... he has grass and hay 24/7, lives out with shelter with a companion 24/7, mineral and salt licks, just being brought back into work after a bad back so working every day, long lining, poles, weaving, tarps etc, so mixing it up a bit, so shouldn't be bored. It can happen once a month or once every few, but today's hole was the biggest so far, and clearly dangerous .... oh not at gate, holes are randomly dug in the middle of the field/grass. Companion (owned for 7 years) has never dug or shown any interest in digging. Besides that he loves to be in your face and only digs when you're not there! Any one any ideas, why, how to stop this as my older horse does love galloping around the field and big holes are not ideal!

ceva

Visit site
Every now and then my 9 year old gelding digs holes in his field, today's one must of come half way up his cannon bone and about 24" wide, I've googled causes ... he has grass and hay 24/7, lives out with shelter with a companion 24/7, mineral and salt licks, just being brought back into work after a bad back so working every day, long lining, poles, weaving, tarps etc, so mixing it up a bit, so shouldn't be bored. It can happen once a month or once every few, but today's hole was the biggest so far, and clearly dangerous .... oh not at gate, holes are randomly dug in the middle of the field/grass. Companion (owned for 7 years) has never dug or shown any interest in digging. Besides that he loves to be in your face and only digs when you're not there! Any one any ideas, why, how to stop this as my older horse does love galloping around the field and big holes are not ideal!

ceva

Visit site
My gelding does exactly the same but he does it to roll in it and get as dirty as he can, we have several 'craters' around the field, I must admit they are not as deep as yours seem to be though. Even in the summer the field is lovely and flat then after a shower of rain the holes appear.

swilliam

Visit site
One of mine occasionally does this - no idea why! I feel them in with poo, and then carefully collect up loose earth and turf, and reassemble on top. Never a dull moment

hellfire

Visit site
I have one who does this and it was suggested to me it's a primitive response to catch rain water. I know they much prefer drinking from puddles than a fresh trof. But in all honesty who knows!

Araby

Visit site
We collect rain water from the shelter roof, so he is drinking rain water all the time, but recently it's been dry and YO had to replace our bowser with tap water, might be something in that ... something to watch!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have had some livery horses do this but no reason why, minerals??

Fiona

Visit site
My connie does it in the brand new turnout area right down through the membrane. Even when he has ad lib hay and only been out for an hour.

I wish I knew why he did it...

Fiona

hellfire

Visit site
Reading this makes me feel there's some truth behind the water theory. It was a horse behaviourist who said about it. Sparky was left to starve so had no water and that was his way of getting it. I know for a fact no animal given the choice will generally choose old water over fresh because of the chlorine etc that goes into it. I get a puddle in winter over in one field and when in there they refuse to drink trof water. He's worst digging holes when it's only fresh water available. At times in long dry spells his holes are huge! He goes on this mission so much he will chip his front hooves a bit in dry weather in my laminitis paddock that's a bit stony. Great for drainage but not for his digging! My dog rather drink from a stagnant puddle of the pond. He will never drink his water inside but likes the one by the water but I keep for the feral cats.

eggs

Visit site
My gelding used to dig huge holes and then wallow in them when they filled with muddy water. None of the other horses out with him joined in. He would also drink water out of a tap.