General advice for part loaning a horse

Jess+Murphy

Visit site
So, I've just started to part loan a horse on a tiny DIY yard (he is currently the only horse there but another is joining on Sunday), 3 days a week for £10pw. The owner seems very flexible to accommodate holidays etc (obviously I have offered to do the same for her holidays or if she's unwell et), and generally seems absolutely lovely so I feel like I've struck gold!

This is the first part loan I have ever done and I would just like some tips on how to keep the owner happy with the arrangement - I really want this to work out well. What do owners like to see from their part-loaners??

Theocat

Visit site
Congratulations! A lovely owner is even more important than a lovely horse!

Tips from me:

Follow all instructions to the letter, even if you think they're silly or inconsequential (like how to store mucking out tools).

Communicate clearly and as early as possible, especially if your days change around regularly, and at any point when you won't be able to make it.

Always mention anything you think the owner ought to know about the horse feels and behaves - if they're a bit sluggish one day, for example, the owner needs to know that.

Keep your eyes open and follow the owner's preferences without being told - how the bridle and saddle are put away, etc.

I would always ask to have lessons with the owner's usual instructor.

In return, the owner should also communicate clearly, treat you fairly and keep you posted!

Jess+Murphy

Visit site
I won't be having lessons, the yard is tiny with no menage - just two horses (technically just one at the moment, the other horse is joining us tomorrow!), but I'd certainly like her to see how I ride, just to check she's happy with me and if she has any tips (either general or specific to her horse, but I have ridden for over 12 years, so I'm reasonably capable for the sort of hacking I'll be doing). I am thinking of asking her if I can take him to a local riding school (20-30 min hack away) for a private lesson, just as a one off or once in a while.

Fab, thanks, I definitely will be watching closely and doing exactly as she wants! It's been just under a week so far and I haven't actually had a chance to ride yet as he had thrown a shoe. He is being reshod tomorrow and I'm hoping I might get a chance over the next few days. The owner has been really good at coming over with me for the first few days and is so fantastic that I am just worried about letting her down if I mess up in some way!

LadySam

Visit site
The only thing I would add to Theocat's advice is to put everything in writing. People have a tendency to move goalposts and rewrite history when it suits them, so make sure you have a written record of your whole agreement.