General Feeding Guidelines

Nothing Original

Visit site
Hi

I am wondering if anyone can point me to a link or article with a general feeding guide.

I am trying to analyse my horses diet and see if he is getting everything he should but I don't seem to be able to find anything with a general rule breaking down ideal ratio's of vitamins, ideal protein and starch etc. etc.

I know every horse is different but surely there has to be a starting point of recommended daily % for such things?

If anyone can shed any light I would be most grateful.

Thank you :)

Shay

Visit site
Try the BHS Complete Manual of Stable Management by Islay Auty. That is really comprehensive. Or you should find most of it in textbooks for stage 4 - but it is a bit peicemeal.

supsup

Visit site
"Nutrient Requirements of Horses" is IMO the most comprehensive collection of what science knows about what horses need in terms of nutrition, but it's a reference more than book with instructions. This is an online calculator where you can enter the horse's details, and it will come up with the nutrient requirements based on that reference: http://nrc88.nas.edu/nrh/

But it still doesn't make much sense as a stand-alone tool. "The truth about feeding your horse" by Clare McLeod would be my recommendation for a good all-around book that will make sense of all the numbers above.