Genetics people... blue eyes..

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
I have a chestnut leopard Appaloosa, though he was born blanket, with a blaze, now one of his eyes is partial blue, and I was informed the other day that he must carry the splash gene to cause this, is this correct?

as a baby, and 3 years go...

colourchange.jpg

now...
DSC00007_zps055c64bf.jpg

angrovestud

Visit site
Splash white does sometimes make the eyes blue our stallion is a splash carrier coming from Northern dancer and his eye is blue as the white blaze trys to make a bonnet crossing his eye. I would not like to pass comment on the aapys genes a I do not know anything about them

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Pretty sure the splash gene can just give blue eyes without white legs, there is a gorgeous black mini with blue eyes (possibly on here??) that is splash I think. Think there is a new test for it. More strongly marked splashes look like they have been dipped in paint.

MasterBenedict

Visit site
I'm certainly no expert in genetics ;) but my old favourite horse was an Appaloosa x tb - he showed no sign of splash and was a bay snowcap and had partial blue eyes.

Unfortunately he has now passed away due to most awful and disgusting neglect that I tried many years to save him from but that's a whole 'norther story :(

Here's a few piccies - he was a lovel metallic bay (pictures don't do him justice) with a small snowcap patch of white over his bum. No white on legs at all, so don't think there was any splash gene in there....

08950252ddbcb6b93aab4e77793106e2_zps83be7ae2.jpg

1b794fa26c5b2f5397398e2c0555647b_zpsc9bc3636.jpg

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Thank you for the replies, Amazona, that is one stunning horse!..

MB... aww he looked a lovely lad, I love the appies

He was the kindest most gentle horse I have ever known and he didn't deserve his fate :(

But I now have my very own little snowcap appy (well, snowcap atm but god knows what colour he is going to end up!) who is going to be thoroughly spoilt rotten! Appys are my favourite :)

Have to agree about Amazona's pic - what a beautiful horse, absolutely stunning!!

Amazona

Visit site
He was the kindest most gentle horse I have ever known and he didn't deserve his fate :(

But I now have my very own little snowcap appy (well, snowcap atm but god knows what colour he is going to end up!) who is going to be thoroughly spoilt rotten! Appys are my favourite :)

Have to agree about Amazona's pic - what a beautiful horse, absolutely stunning!!

Thank you for the Lovely comment about Casper ...He is a diamond only just turning 4 yrs old and is a long legged 17.1 hh. he is still entire and have a wonderful kind temperament.
Here is picture of him last summer as a 3 yr old .. I had just come back from a show and was telling him all about it :)
picture.php

Last edited:

angrovestud

Visit site
Amazona your lovely horse is a spash carrier the back socks and the way they appear blocky and the white falling off is nose is very typical of how splash behaves when you get a blue eye it is due to a gap of pigment I will demonstrate below with full 0s being the code for colour I cant off hand remember the name exons I think or like that
so colour would be............with out any splash
blue eye non pigment
000---000000000000000000000
partial blue eye
00-000000000000000000000000
I think these occour due to either fault in the code or passed on in a colour gene or mutation

hoggedmane

Visit site
Thank you - I have a black mare with white socks and similar white facial markings to Amazonia's horse and she has a partial blue eye so this explains it!

Amazona

Visit site
Thank you
thats really interesting information
Casper always attracts admirers for it but did laugh last year when some men was putting up a marque in neighboring field and they asked if he had a glass eye !!?

angrovestud

Visit site
:) Thank you its always so much easier in pictures I am not good at putting my thoughts in to words due to my dyslexia glad to help.