Gentle shampoo/body wash

dreambigpony

Visit site
Looking for recommendations for gentle/soothing shampoo/body wash that I can use. Preferably something quite natural and can be used more regularly.

Llee94

Visit site
I just use the Tesco value shampoo. I think it costs about 40p for a huge bottle which lasts ages. I find it is very gentle on the horses but it isn't the most natural! Otherwise the NAF skin wash is very good. I use it on my horse if she has a lot of fly bites and it really helps to settle them and any other lumps and bumps. I think that is around £20 a bottle but is more natural.

catkin

Visit site
I'm presuming this is for the horse.....

For ponies and humans sensitive but not downright allergic:

For a washdown we use Barrier Hygiene Lavender Wash - pony thinks it's wonderful. Can be used everyday and doesn't need to be rinsed so great for after-riding sponge down.

For a 'proper' bath we find Gallop shampoo is as good as any. If the ponies have got very dandruffy then human "Head and Shoulders' works well.

PS both ponies are dark without much white.

Last edited:

pennyturner

Visit site
You'll think I'm mad, but try Infacare - the stuff sold as baby bubble bath.
It's just about the gentlest detergent available, so much so that it's used in old people's homes as a bed bath because it can be used on intimate areas safely.

It doesn't strip the oils quite so badly as a shampoo, although obviously any detergent does to some extent.