Gentle warning if you have a dog

Clannad48

Visit site
Gentle warning if you have a dog and shop at Sainsbury's. They are sending out treat boxes which contain chocolate coins and 'gold pearl' cake decorations. Luckily we have an outside on the wall letterbox otherwise the dog would have destroyed the packaging and eaten the edibles.

Clannad48

Visit site
Posted a comment on their Bookface account - I'm sure either them or another store sent out chocolate before and got slammed for it. Loads of packaging as well.

windand rain

Visit site
They can post as much chocolate as they like through my door my labrador is totally trustworthy with food she is a bit odd for a lab she doesnt like chocolate either. I can see how some would though

3Beasties

Visit site
I think it's a real shame that a company can't send out free samples without getting complaints from people about it.

Clannad48

Visit site
I think it's a real shame that a company can't send out free samples without getting complaints from people about it.

I'm not complaining about free samples - but chocolate can be fatal for a dog - it's not as if they haven't done this before and agreed not to do it again. Luckily I have an outside on the wall postbox and my usual postie uses it but on occasion we have other postmen who put things through the door letterbox. As a company they have a raft of information gleaned from the loyalty card so they know that I have a dog. Someone else has had different items based on their buying patterns. Not difficult to avoid sending chocolate to a dog owner. I'm sure they would rather have a polite complaint rather than have to deal with a customer telling them that they had killed their dog with chocolate freebies.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I'm not complaining about free samples - but chocolate can be fatal for a dog - it's not as if they haven't done this before and agreed not to do it again. Luckily I have an outside on the wall postbox and my usual postie uses it but on occasion we have other postmen who put things through the door letterbox. As a company they have a raft of information gleaned from the loyalty card so they know that I have a dog. Someone else has had different items based on their buying patterns. Not difficult to avoid sending chocolate to a dog owner. I'm sure they would rather have a polite complaint rather than have to deal with a customer telling them that they had killed their dog with chocolate freebies.

I thought about buying patterns but from reading the AAD forum nobody would buy what Sainsbury’s supplies as they’re either raw or some other non standard dog food. Therefore they wouldn’t necessarily know.

I have to say I think you just need to take responsibility for your own dog.

Clannad48

Visit site
Update: email response from Sainsbury's contains the following:

However, We know chocolate with a high cocoa content is unsafe for pets to eat. This is why we had measures in place to safeguard against pet owners receiving this promotion. Our gift box contains 3 small, milk chocolate, which has a low cocoa content. We took expert advice and confirmed that this type of chocolate does not pose a risk to dogs.

Clannad48

Visit site
I have to say I think you just need to take responsibility for your own dog.[/QUOTE]

I DO take responsibility for my dog - I don't give him chocolate which is poisonous to dogs - I just don't like other people taking that decision away from me. I hope you never have to watch a dog die because someone thought it was a good advertising ploy.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I DO take responsibility for my dog - I don't give him chocolate which is poisonous to dogs - I just don't like other people taking that decision away from me. I hope you never have to watch a dog die because someone thought it was a good advertising ploy.

you are being somewhat dramatic considering what's being sent out!

Equi

Visit site
I hardly think a very small bit of chocolate will kill a healthy dog. It’s not like they are delivering a full share bar of pure coca. Just tape up the postbox if you’re worried.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
I think a better way to provide free samples to customers would be to include the free stuff with groceries purchased, either at the till, or as part of an online order.

I also think that dogs should be kept away from having access to any stuff that might arrive via the letterbox - so with a dog gate between them and the front door, or one of those cages to attach to the inside of the letterbox, etc. We have a porch where we live now, but used a gate in our previous home. It's not just to do with the dog eating something dangerous or valuable. It also avoids them annoying or frightening the postal workers/delivery people, etc.

Also, how recently do you need to have shopped at Sainsbury's to get this free chocolate? Because none has arrived here :(

Abi90

Visit site
Yeh! I go to Sainsbury's several times a week and have a nectar card and haven't had any chocolate!

Shantara

Visit site
Screwfix sent my friend an advent calendar and the dogs had the lot. Luckily they are huge dogs (35 and 50kg) but if she'd had a tiny Yorkie or something it may have been different.
I personally would love some free choccies! My letterbox is way out of reach of my Tamriel!