Geoff Update: BD Take 2 and Attempting Novice...

khalswitz

Visit site
So, as was decided after much discussion with the HHO forum, Geoff and I had an attempt at our first Novice unaffiliated yesterday in addition to our second BD outing at Prelim. A friend was taking us and doing the Novice, so saved her having to go too early, and whilst we were aware we weren’t ready for Novice, we figured it wouldn’t do us any active harm - worst case scenario it would be confirmed we need more time at Prelim.

In preparation for such an momentous outing, and celebrating Geoff now being a proper dressage hoss ( ;) ), we bought some new BLING from Equiture:

IMG_1119.jpg

Yum :D

Now we tried very hard not to think about doing a Novice, particularly as it was a mainly BD event running some unaff alongside, and therefore marked by BD judges, so not necessarily encouraging… however regretted on Wednesday not having at least looked at the test before then, as the Novice 24 looked absolutely impossible: ridiculous loops (thanks HHO for clearing those up!), medium trot and canter, give and retake in canter, change of canter lead through one horse’s length of trot… basically terrifying. However Geoff was surprisingly workmanlike about practising some new moves, so whilst it might not be pretty it wouldn’t be totally horrendous and undoable…

We had it in our heads that we wanted a 62+ in the Prelim 15, and a 58+ in the Nov 24 - that would be a successful day, with his first Area sheet and a not-totally-shocking first bash at a level I didn’t really feel prepared for.

Morning of the comp came, and all hell broke loose. JUST prior to us loading up, the horse in the box opposite, currently on box rest, managed to barge past it’s owner and cause mayhem, galloping up and down the yard, literally running someone over and almost escaping onto the main road as someone had left the front gate open. The boys were WILD when we came back from helping catch the blighter, and my friend’s horse, once loaded in the box, went into panic mode and threw himself against the partition, collapsing his back end and getting stuck.

We got them both out, but she decided it wasn’t worth trying to take him as he was obviously very upset. I told her not to worry, we’d get there another time, but she (and her lovely dad who was with us!) said not to be ridiculous, they’d come with us, and that we’d better bloomin’ win. (In return I went with her today to groom for her as she got a withdrawn slot to sit the same tests!!)

Geoff was calmer than my friend’s horse, but a new venue and all the excitement beforehand left me with a very… *lit up* horse when we arrived. He was very looky and on his toes in the warm up, but no badness, and really trying to concentrate, just a little distracted.

Took him into the indoor for the P15, and things got even more exciting. He always has a good LOOK on going into an indoor, and this coincided perfectly with someone slamming a door directly next to us causing a huge spook across the arena. However, my increase in confidence with him definitely shone through, and instead of backing off and sitting, I put him straight into canter and gave him a good forward canter round before entering at A. He is MUCH happier after a canter, and doesn’t get tense like in the trot.

Test itself wasn’t one of our best, but probably an average test for him. He was head nodding quite a bit - this is his new *thing*, particularly when I set my wrists and go zombie-arms instead of actually riding him forward into soft but consistent contact. He was also hollowing quite a bit in the canter trans - again me collapsing my core and not riding him properly. However, unlike last time we did this test, he didn’t just decide to gallop off like a giraffe in the middle of the test, so that was a plus ;). Another affiliated test under our belts, and not nearly as horrible feeling as the previous attempt at BD when he needed to pee…

Here is the vid - CC much appreciated!

[video=youtube_share;3Mof7G7iwj4]http://youtu.be/3Mof7G7iwj4[/video]

And some stills:

ScreenShot2014-05-11at160358.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at160453.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at160600.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at160539.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at160507.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at160415-1.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at160337.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at160214-1.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at160153-1.png

Warmed up much looser and less distracted second time, and thanks to ring steward letting us into the outdoor arena for the Novice before the judge was back, we got a good canter and a nice free walk round to get Geoff settled before the bell was rung. Sneaky ;)

I really didn’t have high expectations at all, but you know what? I came out grinning. I think having more to do and think about stopped me over-riding him - and you know what? Geoff responded. It was far from perfect - whilst the first medium trot (usually very tense) was lovely, the second one I didn’t really ask for enough, and same with the medium canter. He came above the bit in every canter trans, although I did get him back in between, and he is obviously a bit laterally stiff through the loops, but he tried very hard and worked WITH me which was lovely.

Vid here: again, CC much appreciated :)

[video=youtube_share;uncAL9sXnek]http://youtu.be/uncAL9sXnek[/video]

And stills:

ScreenShot2014-05-11at155459-2.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at155144-1.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at155001.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at154909-1.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at155440-2.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at155243-1.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at155310-2.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at155228-1.png

ScreenShot2014-05-11at155426-1.png

All in all, came out thinking it was not bad, and that we do need to start trying to work at this level...

And after an epic long wait, the sheets came out. In the P15, we scored 65.87 and came 10/20. Scores were all very close, with one % more we’d have had 6th, and we scored the same as 8th and 9th places, just lower collectives. However considering the 59 and 60 last time at BD, I was very pleased with this, and back smack in the middle of the pack shows we really are right to be competing affiliated, not just thinking we are!! That score also means our first sheet for Areas!!

Then, the Novice. Well, blow me down with a hummingbird feather - 66.54%. Judge’s comments LOVELY - said he had a nice rhythm and nice forward paces, just needed to come through more, and not lose himself in the canter trans. “Lots to like”.

The Novice unaff class had 5 in the class and we came 2nd :D and therefore with our 65+ score and 2nd placing managed to find ourselves qualified for the North East Championships held by the local dressage group who run the main BD comps in the area. In the Novice o_O . Over the moon to have qualified, although I don't think we'll be able to go as local box hire place is booked up and no one from my yard has qualified :(

I also compared our scores to the Novice Restricted scores, and out of 12 entries we'd have placed 4th had we been competing in that section. So very chuffed :D - we would even have been competitive against affiliated Novice combinations, with the restricted section winner being only 3% above us (and regular competitors at that level since last year).

So, am very full after eating my words that Geoff is no where near ready to do a Novice (think my perfectionist side was coming out again). We are entered for 2 BD prelims next weekend, but next month may consider trying another few unaff Novice tests before considering whether we need to spend some pennies and get him fully registered and do Novice...

Our biggest stumbling block will always be rein back - he struggles to back up even on the ground, mainly due to the shivering - but have been teaching him to take 2 steps back with me on him mainly for doing gates etc, so whilst we’ll have to avoid tests with rein back for the meantime, we can aim towards at least a 5’s worth of rein back with practice I’m hoping. So maybe Novice isn’t so far away after all!!

Here’s our sheets and lovely frilly :)

IMG_1120.jpg

Cheesecake and fresh strawberries on offer, yum :D

Last edited:

spookypony

Visit site
Wow, what a totally awesome day for you! :D We must find you a lift to the champs. I'd offer the Spookyponymobile, but suspect I'll be away that weekend.

khalswitz

Visit site
Wow, what a totally awesome day for you! :D We must find you a lift to the champs. I'd offer the Spookyponymobile, but suspect I'll be away that weekend.

Was SO over the moon with him - regardless of the result it FELT great which was what was important for the first attempt, the result just made it even better :D. Great day all round :D

That's a very kind thought, but it was awesome just to qualify, so not worried if we don't get there :). Fingers crossed I may convince someone from the yard to take me, but if not it's not a big deal :D we always have next year!!

khalswitz

Visit site
Well done :)
He looks fab and great scores, too.
You must be over the moon.

Thanks :) It's especially thrilling as our first attempt at BD last month was a bit of a bummer, with a 59 and 60 and horribly tense in the shoulders - so feeling like we DO belong at affiliated after all which is lovely :). And after watching all the poncy warmbloods in the warmup ring it was nice to not be totally outclassed!

It's all another reminder that I INTERFERE too much, and when I'm distracted by what I'm doing then he can actually work properly!! So I have to remember this!!

Sheep

Visit site
Very nicely done, I am sure you are so chuffed! Great scores and gorgeous rosette.

Now.. I am thinking.. maybe it is the power of the bling that has propelled you upwards.......?? ;)

khalswitz

Visit site
Very nicely done, I am sure you are so chuffed! Great scores and gorgeous rosette.

Now.. I am thinking.. maybe it is the power of the bling that has propelled you upwards.......?? ;)

OF COURSE. Why did I not see it sooner?? That much bling had to have an effect - even if it was just blinding the judge ;)

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Great to read a postive result. Your efforts are paying off. :)
Will watch vids at home.
That bling is certainly up there with the blingiest of bling from planet maxbling. :D

khalswitz

Visit site
Great to read a postive result. Your efforts are paying off. :)
Will watch vids at home.
That bling is certainly up there with the blingiest of bling from planet maxbling. :D

It is lovely to be able to say 'GOOD result' instead of 'not great on paper but...' for a change :) the boyo does seem to be enjoying this dressage lark!

It's called a 'megabling browband' which I think suns it up well... And I feel I would no longer be accepted into the eventing ranks with my new bling addiction so it's a good thing we've turned to BD!! I have held myself back from bling plaiting bands so far but I think it's just a matter of time...

At least I can stand up and admit I have a problem though!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Wow that's some serious bling! :eek3:

What a great day you had (other than the yard incident - hope all horses are ok). I think that sometimes with a looky horse, busier tests work better as both of you have to concentrate on the job in hand rather than what is around you. Well done. Looking forward to hearing how you get on next weekend. :) x

khalswitz

Visit site
Wow that's some serious bling! :eek3:

What a great day you had (other than the yard incident - hope all horses are ok). I think that sometimes with a looky horse, busier tests work better as both of you have to concentrate on the job in hand rather than what is around you. Well done. Looking forward to hearing how you get on next weekend. :) x

He definitely has a very TB brain - if it's not kept busy he WILL find something else to occupy it! So hopefully the step up will keep him occupied!!

Horses are all ok, and my friend's horse went out yesterday to do dressage and was fine - was just bad timing and upset everyone a bit.

You wouldn't believe how much it actually sparkles in the sunshine when outdoors... it is LOVELY :D (admittedly not to everyone's taste, but very much ours)

khalswitz

Visit site
You've even developed the dressage diva pre show attitude now ;)

It's a disease I don't think I'm about to recover from, either ;) considering how much I love eventing, I'm really, really enjoying doing pure dressage with Geoff - he does try very hard and seems to learn so quickly it's such a pleasure :)

Fab stuff, well done and Geoff looks great! (Love the bling!)

Thanks :) the bling got so many comments on the day it was unreal ;)