Geoff update: Combined Training Take 2

khalswitz

Visit site
So after our success at last week's small Combined Training, this week we were entered into our local RC's yearly combined training trophy event. We entered the Prelim dressage (well aware that after our BD Novice debut next month we will be out of RC prelim, so to make the most of it), and the 70cm, as well as the 80cm just for practice over the slightly bigger height.

On Tuesday, we nipped over to the RC show field for some training. We worked on getting the right canter (energetic and forward but not too long), and having him in froth of me when the scary fillers come up so I can tell him to go. He was jumping really nice in the end, but I did note the ground was pretty hard, and was hoping for some rain before the CT.

Alas, that was not to be. So we faced concrete ground, and, despite being told the temperature was supposed to be cooler, we faced 33 degrees (according to my car thermometer) for the fourth day running.

On Friday, Geoff had a session from my physio, who said his pelvis was tight through one side - I was wondering why he had started stopping again, and obviously the stopping is his early warning signal that he's not quite right. So between that and a lovely reiki session with my mum, he was SUPER relaxed to hack up to the CT today in the sunshine!

Warmed up lovely for the dressage, feeling really supple and relaxed, if not quite off my leg enough. However the arenas were not only cooked to concrete, but very long grass, to the point where you couldn't see the boards til you were on top of them!! Geoff has never spooked at boards like he did today, ever!

Slope made the test tricky - had to really keep half-halting to maintain balance down the way, and the bottom end of the arena by the judge was actually a bit slippy, so he was really trying to stay balanced and not bending his best at that end. He canter was also a little flat when picked up down there too.

However he was VERY obedient, and my instructor, show as there with her two kids in the junior section next door, said it looked really nice.

Then we trundled up to the jumping. I was having to work HARD to get him off my leg - the heat was pretty tough by this point, even without jackets, and he was pretty sweaty. So taking into account the ground conditions, the slope, and how tired he was feeling in the heat (plus we're going XC schooling tomorrow!) I decided to withdraw the 80cm. There will always be another day!

The 70cm was a bit piddly, due to the ground it really wasn't up to height. However it was full of fillers!!! A big saltire filler, two block fillers under the first part of the double, a spotty set of planks, and a GATE, and brush. Hmmm. Knowing Geoff's... aversion to fillers, this could be interesting.

Over number one on the downhill fine... HALF HALT, pop over number two fine. Up the hill, change lead, get the line for the saltires... and Geoff spots them. Head up, brakes start to come on, Khalswitz leans back, closes eyes, and BOOTS for the last four strides. Geoff hesitates... then LEAPS. Khalswitz is not connected to Geoff by anything for a moment, but somehow meets him again on the other side to grab reins and attempt to HALF HALT again on the downhill.

To the planks, where Geoff has another query but by this point I am RIDING IT LIKE I STOLE IT and he is washed along by my enthusiasm and pony-club-esque kicking. Got the canter back coming up the hill to the first part of the double (DON'T do what you always do and look down!! Look to part b!!!!) to look at the fillers, but by now all it takes is a good squeeze on the approach for Geoff to know we're going over it.

Then to the GATE. It's the biggest fence on the course, and is a GATE. I'm not sure. But there is a nice long flat approach, so as we get on the line I sit up and give two sharp squeezes. Listen. Geoff reacts, then locks on, and proper perks up. A GATE? This is CROSS COUNTRY!!! Geoff picks up the pace, and I hang on for dear life as am sprinted over the gate. This slightly (!) flat canter leads to Geoff's first pole in MONTHS over the last innocuous pole over brush, also the last fence.

HOWEVER, we had no refusals, and ended up placing fourth. A friend nipped over with the dressage sheets, handing me a fourth rosette as well. Fourth out of twenty, not bad. 66.6. Slightly disappointed, but conditions weren't great.

then I looked at my marks. 8, 8, 7.5, 7.7 7, 8.5... wait, what? Firstly, when has Geoff ever had an 8.5 before? And when has he EVER racked up so many high marks? And to finish on 6.6? What had happened? I added them up - seemed right. Then calculated the percentage... wait, 166.5/230 is definitely 72.4, not 66.6...

After a quick chat with the scorers, it turned out Geoff had scored 72.4% (his first 70+ score under a listed judge), and actually won the class. Clever boy!!!!

Nipped home to let Geoff dry off (sweaty boy), and unpacked everything before heading back over for the CT results. I had a missed call from one of my friends on the way over. As I arrived I realised why... turned out we had won the combined training, and THIS was waiting for us.

So two firsts, a fourth, and a shiny shield. Not bad for a hot day, with hard ground with slippery slope dressage arenas!!!

khalswitz

Visit site
What a great score and well done on your determined riding - look forward to your next report :)

brilliant - well done, you!

Fantastic, well done!!!!

Thanks all. I'm still a bit shell shocked! Very pleased with the boy though :) (note he has been upgraded from the beast to the boy for the time being ;) ).

Steadily drizzling now tonight which is spot on, we should be fine jumping tomorrow XC and will venture to another 80 at some point for more confidence building!!