Geoff Update: It's all in the air!!!

khalswitz

Visit site
Hello HHO!!! It has been a while... but whilst we're no still no where near 'competing and training' again yet, there is some news in Geoff-land.

He is doing ace. Not only is he the best patient in the world (how many horses, 2.5 months into box rest, would be standing in their stable calmly watching you after you had forgotten to shut the door, left and headed to the tack room to collect all the bandaging equipment... He is such a dude.

He's had his skin grafts done now, and the top wound is almost there - about 4x2cm left to go, and the bottom one is filling in from the middle too, where the grafts have been, so hopefully only another month of so of box rest!!!

He's also a dude with a mohawk these days... his mane kept sticking in the wounds in his neck where the grafts were taken from, and he was unhappy with me touching it and kept head shaking. So i took the scissors out... it's not a full blown hog, but to be honest he really suits it and I may just keep him this way... no more plaiting!!

B0CC962B-A2AC-42BA-955D-7260BAFEED65.jpg

FE312F87-0CD9-4367-8A60-7A5BEB58F74A.jpg

A334C06D-4661-47C4-BBFF-C536482D4DCE.jpg

We did have a bit of a scary moment the other day, too - Geoff is very confident with that leg now, apparently, and when I dumped a fresh bag of shredded paper in his stable, ready to make up the banks, he started pawing and snuffling, having a fab time. Next thing, he went down for a roll, and rolled right over - getting cast! Thankfully it was on the door side, so i opened the door wide, and he managed to get a leg out and get some purchase, but he couldn't quite manage it on his wonky leg alone. Managed to burst his bandage open in the process too! Silly beast.

Also unfortunately, though, I have had to quit at the eventing yard. They've wanted more and more hours, and as a part time Masters student, and a business owner myself, I really can't manage full time hours on top! So I have applied for and been offered a few part time jobs, one of which I'll be taking instead. However, I'm no longer able to afford livery there without my discount.

So, Geoff and I are looking for a new home! Anyone in Aberdeenshire that can recommend somewhere with a reasonably busy but calm atmosphere, with small group turnout, decent hacking and preferably part livery (although DIY is fine), in Deeside or nearby then please send me some recommendations!

That's it from us - fresh, homemade fruit scones in the offering :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Glad to hear he's doing well, it must have been very scary for a while. Just typical that they have to give you an extra worry when everything is going OK :p

khalswitz

Visit site
So glad to hear such a positive update! Love the new hairdo. Good luck with new job and finding livery!

Thanks! I'm still in shock that it's gone so well - my vet now wants to use him as a case study, which is really cool :) I'm just relieved he's around and healing to be honest - trying not to think about what will happen if he isn't sound once he finishes healing :(

Glad to hear he's doing well, it must have been very scary for a while. Just typical that they have to give you an extra worry when everything is going OK :p

Yeah, pretty scary - I've never been so long without decent sleep and feeling so nauseous all the time (and I have stomach problems anyway!). But it's looking really positive - next big step will be seeing whether he falls over the first time we turn him out... :S

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Oh that's great news. Really pleased it's all going the right way. Has he got much more box test to go or is it just wait and see at this stage?

Firewell

Visit site
Aww what a dude! I agree he looks quite cool with the haircut! Like an old fashioned hunter. I'm really glad he's getting better. Good boy!

khalswitz

Visit site
Oh that's great news. Really pleased it's all going the right way. Has he got much more box test to go or is it just wait and see at this stage?

Well, we've got to get him out of bandages yet - vet says another fortnight to a month of bandaging, and then he'll need a week or so to get used to his leg in the box without support from the bandage before we turn him out, else he may end up falling over! But maybe another 2 months tops before he's out, probably closer to six weeks.

Glad to see he's making such excellent progress. The streamlined hairdo is nice too.

Thanks :D I actually really like it. I was considering hogging him last year, because his mane is really thick and horrible to plait, and I do like a hogged horse, but was too scared he'd look like a fool. May just stay this way!

Aww what a dude! I agree he looks quite cool with the haircut! Like an old fashioned hunter. I'm really glad he's getting better. Good boy!

Thanks :D Yeah, that's exactly it - you do notice his gigantic donkey ears a bit more, but he does seem to suit it :D. Since he won't be able to show any more thanks to the cracking scars he's going to have, it would make life easier not to plait!

khalswitz

Visit site
Nice to hear from you and glad it is going well. He looks well.

Good news :)

Thank you both. Can't wait now til I can get some vid of him actually outside to share with you all!

Quite honestly, it has been a horrifically stressful and scary experience (extra stressful now he's gone over his insurance limit!), and the support I've received on here has been fantastic. It really made me cry a couple of times! So a ridiculously huge thanks to HHO. Xx

spookypony

Visit site
That was a great update to read! :D And may the improvement continue! :D
How far into town are you willing to go? There are several yards in Cults that may fit your bill.

khalswitz

Visit site
That was a great update to read! :D And may the improvement continue! :D
How far into town are you willing to go? There are several yards in Cults that may fit your bill.

I was in milltimber before so cults isn't a huge difference. My new job is at RGU so the west end of town is perfect :).

spookypony

Visit site
Give Hillhead a try, or Sunnyside. Access to hacking is excellent from either, and both are very close to Hayfield, so if you have a membership there, you can use their facilities too, if they're available. This is very useful if you are able to ride during the daytime.