Geoff Update: Long Time No Post!!!

khalswitz

Visit site
It's been a while, HHO!

Things have simultaneously been very busy and very quiet at Khalswitz HQ. Geoff has been on holiday pretty much since late November, firstly thanks to a cracking hole in his hock, then an abscess in his off fore, then horrific mud fever on the near fore, then another abscess in the near fore (which was so big that it spurted when the farrier hit it, and then proceeded to trickle like a stream from his foot down the yard once he was standing on it… five days and there was still pus on the poultices!!!), and then footiness from said horrid abscess which coincided with the very hard frost, snow and ice in turn…

However, he is now sound, and thanks to his extended time off, is on the fitness schedule with the event horses - i.e. lots and lots of walking.

I've been riding a lot of other horses whilst he's been off - a very cheeky warmblood who placed at BD Nat Champs as a five year old and a fantastic supercob who is totally point and shoot to jump but is learning to carry himself properly have been amongst them :) I'm also getting there in stabilising the lower leg and the hands - I can tell because I don't get shouted at now! ;)

However I've had a bit of time off too. Partly due to weather (six inches of snow last week, although we've been warm, dry and sunny the last few days whilst everyone else has been stuck in blizzards), but partly due to me being ill - and that being the main reason for my lack of HHO-ness.

I've had some pretty horrific stomach problems, and have been in and out of hospital. Still undiagnosed :(. I'm also possibly getting a hip replacement this summer (and I'm 23!) after the horrific fall off Geoff that I told you all about summer 2013… So not just the best :(

But I'm here, and alive. And Geoff, after a good chunk of time off turned out on the side of a hill, and a fantastic new feed, is looking the best he's ever looked. He always had a tendency to look slightly bum-high, and very withery with a lack of muscle behind the withers, but now he looks CHUNKIN'. Also have a fabulous new treeless saddle which he ADORES and is going just so fabulously in. Fingers crossed you'll see us at BD Regionals, RC Areas (and maybe even champs!), and plenty of BE this season…

Please help yourself to some lime-infused gin with elderflower tonic!!

spookypony

Visit site
That all sounds completely awesome (except about the tummy and the hip replacement, of course)! Will you be visiting any nearby venues this spring? May see you about?

khalswitz

Visit site
That all sounds completely awesome (except about the tummy and the hip replacement, of course)! Will you be visiting any nearby venues this spring? May see you about?

Fingers crossed!! Will be at a few Findon things hopefully, and will get out to some BD at Cabin/Fountain, plus some unaff SJ before the eventing really gets going, if all goes to plan!! Will hopefully see you :D

Nannon

Visit site
Oh poor you - hope you get everything sorted! Looking forwards to seeing lots of Geoff reports - we are aiming for BD areas and regionals and RC stuff too, fingers crossed may see you at nationals!

Charlie77

Visit site
Sorry never commented on your posts before but enjoy reading them. Just wanted to share a tip if you dont mind? My horse had the moste amazing mud fever last year terrible and a couple of abbess also. Now last year hed been having treatment for ulcers and I think generally had a lowe immune system going in to winter. This was also the first year I had not started him on human zinc supplement usually around september. His mud fever didnt clear untill june! So yhis year I did start the zinc in sept just as we got the heaver dew on the grass. Not wanting to speak to soon but hes not had mudfever yet this year fingers crossed and no abbess either! Zinc help the immune system and heals the skin form the inside out if you like a bit like putting sudo cream on the out side. I give my big 17h 2 x tables in his dinner its very cheap to. Some one told me this years ago and this horse had mild skin problems as a 2yo so every winter but last year I did the zinc trick never had any more problmes till last year when I didn't do it. And nothing this year so convinced my self it works. He also had abbess as a 2yo and then nothing till last winter when he had 2! Sorry to ramble on but I know how frustrating mudfever and abbess are. X

j1ffy

Visit site
Yay, a Geoff update! Sorry to hear you've had a few challenges but it sounds like you're back on track now. Looking forward to lots of dressage and eventing reports!!

khalswitz

Visit site
We need pictures!

Glad things are on the up - hopefully your health problems improve soon too!

Have some pics - will get them uploaded for the next update :) he's looking great - filling his rug really well these days! Back looking much better, bit more top line from being turned out on te hill :)

Sorry never commented on your posts before but enjoy reading them. Just wanted to share a tip if you dont mind? My horse had the moste amazing mud fever last year terrible and a couple of abbess also. Now last year hed been having treatment for ulcers and I think generally had a lowe immune system going in to winter. This was also the first year I had not started him on human zinc supplement usually around september. His mud fever didnt clear untill june! So yhis year I did start the zinc in sept just as we got the heaver dew on the grass. Not wanting to speak to soon but hes not had mudfever yet this year fingers crossed and no abbess either! Zinc help the immune system and heals the skin form the inside out if you like a bit like putting sudo cream on the out side. I give my big 17h 2 x tables in his dinner its very cheap to. Some one told me this years ago and this horse had mild skin problems as a 2yo so every winter but last year I did the zinc trick never had any more problmes till last year when I didn't do it. And nothing this year so convinced my self it works. He also had abbess as a 2yo and then nothing till last winter when he had 2! Sorry to ramble on but I know how frustrating mudfever and abbess are. X

This sounds great - thanks very much!!! :)

Yay, a Geoff update! Sorry to hear you've had a few challenges but it sounds like you're back on track now. Looking forward to lots of dressage and eventing reports!!

Fingers crossed :) he's feeling really keen and much stronger for the break so hoping it will be good!

Great news about Geoff coming sound, but not so great news about your health, I hope you're better soon.

Thanks - I am managing, and at least I am getting tests and things so hopefully they can find out what it is and do something. Horses keep me busy though! :)

Oh poor you - hope you get everything sorted! Looking forwards to seeing lots of Geoff reports - we are aiming for BD areas and regionals and RC stuff too, fingers crossed may see you at nationals!

Fingers crossed! Would be lovely to meet you!

blood_magik

Visit site
Glad to hear Mr. Geoff is sound and doing well at his new yard. :)
Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hopefully you get to the bottom of them soon.
SuperCob sounds awesome - you must be learning so much riding all these different horses. It's always a good thing when you don't get shouted at. :D

Remember, we need pictures once you're back up and running. :) x

stormclouds

Visit site
Really enjoy your Geoff updates!

Looking forwards to seeing some pictures :)

Hope you get things sorted out with your health. A close friend of mine had awful issues with her stomach, and the hospital ran endless tests on her. She discovered that tuna and potatoes set her off, after that, the hospital just left her with the advice not to eat any. Fingers crossed you get a clear diagnosis soon!