german or english hackamore....

Parkranger

Visit site
Ty's been going really well on the longreining in a dually headcollar so I thought I'd hack out in it today - amazing!

So I want to get a hackamore as I think he just responds better to the nose pressure rather than the bit - he constantly fights the bit and we've tried a few!

so what would you guys recommend? thanks x

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I would have thought an English one would be strong enough if he went O.K. in dually. German ones are quite a bit stronger than the English, due to the longer shanks. Have never ridden anything in a German Hackamore thou.

Jemayni

Visit site
I have ridden in both, my guy used to get mouth ulcers constantly so was in them for 6 onths. I used to use a german for hacking just in case I needed extra brakes as i couldnt stop him in the English one, nor could I get his head up when he turned into a rodeo pony!

But used to school and compete in the english, which worked sufficiently in terms of brakes. However he did go pretty hideous in both, so my advice isnt really the best....

RunToEarth

Visit site
I preferred the german for competing in as it is easier to turn with, I had problems sjing in the english, which I never had in german. But for hacking etc if you can control him in headcollar i think english would be best option.

Frazer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I preferred the german for competing in as it is easier to turn with, I had problems sjing in the english, which I never had in german. But for hacking etc if you can control him in headcollar i think english would be best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I echo this, my 4 year old had a wolf tooth and was unable to be ridden in a bit! So was using hackamores for a while and playing about wit them. I found it really hard to do any type of sharp turns in the english, but with the german it is so much easier. Although I do perfer the english action. I would suggest try an english hackamore first, and then go from there.

k9h

Visit site
One of our mares Ash hunted best in a English hackamore, turning didnt have any problems.

k9h

Visit site
Was the senior Masters horse & she went brilliantly in it. I always hunted her in it & not a single problem, he wouldn't as didn't think it was "proper"! She never went as good for him but that was due to having a bit in her mouth (not my riding!LOL) She was just very fussy with her mouth! (typical chesnut mare!)

Parkranger

Visit site
Not only does he not like the bit (kicked out the other day when I put his bridle on - and he's had his teeth done) but I'm sure he works himself up by constantly chomping on the bit - a bit like when someones nervous and bites their nails (ok rubbish comparison!)

fingers crossed. x

KatB

Visit site
Lol!! I used to hnt Bobcob in a hackamore! Was ace, improved the "waving" problem, and had air brakes and steering!!
smile.gif

k9h

Visit site
Am changing my name back didnt realise you were Scrooge too (think you may of changed 1st!)!! Just went on main index & saw reply to this post by Scrooge & thought Ive just been out with dogs whats going on!! LOL. Hopefully admin will turn me back on Mon!!