Gerty Tynan Irish Sport Equine

Lady Tinseltime

Visit site
Probably been done to death but has anyone bought from her. She has a horse at the moment that looks just what I want and at a price that if I didn't like it i could sell on for not too much of a loss Answers please nor necessarily on a postcard

nagblagger

Visit site
My friend did about 18 months ago, although had seen videos of it going through water, jumping etc he was very green when he arrived and babyish, was suppose to be 5 but according to passport was only 4. She had him vetted, but it only seemed to be a basic vetting, we were informed vetting is slightly different in Ireland (?)
He definitely needed a competent rider even though she had been honest about her experience.
However, he is turning out to be a nice horse with the help of a pro rider taking him out weekly - so they will 'get there' and he will be staying.

Lady Tinseltime

Visit site
My friend did about 18 months ago, although had seen videos of it going through water, jumping etc he was very green when he arrived and babyish, was suppose to be 5 but according to passport was only 4. She had him vetted, but it only seemed to be a basic vetting, we were informed vetting is slightly different in Ireland (?)
He definitely needed a competent rider even though she had been honest about her experience.
However, he is turning out to be a nice horse with the help of a pro rider taking him out weekly - so they will 'get there' and he will be staying.
Thank you. The horse I am looking at is a 14 year old schoolmaster so won't be green. Videos look good

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Last I heard, she wouldn't let you try them in person due to not having any/ the correct insurance. Seemed odd for a dealer
Things, as they say, are quite different over here. I haven't bought anything from her but know people who have. Generally the horses are OK, if perhaps greener / less educated than people may be used to in the UK. I don't know anyone who has returned a horse or had a serious problem.

spacefaer

Visit site
Things, as they say, are quite different over here. I haven't bought anything from her but know people who have. Generally the horses are OK, if perhaps greener / less educated than people may be used to in the UK. I don't know anyone who has returned a horse or had a serious problem.

I can't put details on here but I know a friend of mine who is very far from a novice purchaser, who has had major problems buying from her.
It's very convenient for a dealer to sell unseen overseas off edited videos.

cumbriamax

Visit site
I know someone who bought a horse off her last year and they are happy with him. He was perhaps a little green. The owner is a novice and has just started jumping with him.

On the subject of green horses I think people in the UK have a higher expectation of horses to be schooled. Growing up in rural Cumbria there were lots of people who bred/kept horses and ponies and they'd be broken the old fashioned way and would go hunting, hacking on roads etc but wouldn't have a lot of established school work and wouldn't necessarily go in an outline etc(less arenas around back then) and I think hers might be a bit like that as in broken and going but a little green. So I think some people will be happy with a horse that has the basics but some will expect a higher level of training.
Good luck with getting a new horse.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Insurance premiums are extremely inflated here if you can obtain cover at all. I wouldn’t let you ride any horse I had for sale either.
But you are not a professional dealer, Quigley.

I know that we told that things are done differently in Ireland, but trying a ridden horse out for yourself under saddle before purchase is pretty basic stuff. Is it normal to buy without be allowed a sit on over there, even from a dealer?

ISE has a FAQs page, which doesn't mention the possibilty of viewing the horses at all. It's all about how to pay, transport to the UK and their exchange policy.

If they could at least be relied on to get the height right, it would help. A horse shrinking a full hand in transit isn't great. That saga will be on the older threads on here.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I just had a look at the video. Sweet looking horse. A really unusual way of presenting the video though, the whole thing is pretty much bleached out so you can only just see the outline of the horse. I mean, no detail of the horse at all, pretty much, just a bleached out outline.

I actually thought it was my computer screen that was malfunctioning, but it played a different video fine!

Lady Tinseltime

Visit site
I just had a look at the video. Sweet looking horse. A really unusual way of presenting the video though, the whole thing is pretty much bleached out so you can only just see the outline of the horse. I mean, no detail of the horse at all, pretty much, just a bleached out outline.

I actually thought it was my computer screen that was malfunctioning, but it played a different video fine!
Video looked ok to me

Follysmum

Visit site
Many years ago ( probably 6) A friend wanted a safe novice type. She picked out a nice 14.2hh quiet hack what she got was a horse that you couldn’t sit on basically. After sending it back and 3 horses later she did get a nice pony

Reacher

Visit site
If you aren’t to allowed to go and sit on a horse, are you allowed to go and look at it?? I get the impression that is discouraged too but happy to be corrected.

throwawayaccount

Visit site
Not directly however I had a pony that had been in her hands. She was happy to have had me reach out and filled in any gaps regarding having him etc

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The horse that the OP is interested in does look like a sweet natured horse, but why is he constantly chomping at the contact and opening and closing his mouth while ridden by the pro rider? Definitely one to try before buying to see how you get on together, and not to have sent to you unseen.

ETA There is now included in the sales video a close up shot of a measuring stick on the withers, which is something, but not a distant shot to prove that the horse is standing square and on level ground, and that the stick is also on level ground ?.

Last edited:

Lady Tinseltime

Visit site
The horse that the OP is interested in does look like a sweet natured horse, but why is he constantly chomping at the contact and opening and closing his mouth while ridden by the pro rider? Definitely one to try before buying to see how you get on together, and not to have sent to you unseen.

ETA There is now included in the sales video a close up shot of a measuring stick on the withers, which is something, but not a distant shot to prove that the horse is standing square and on level ground, and that the stick is also on level ground ?.
Yes I looked at this and he seems to be more flapping his lips than opening his mouth. Only in a cavesson so no flash or drop to keep his mouth shut. His dressage scores in Ireland are quite consistent working from Prelim through Novice to Elem Probably won't go with this anyway as he hasn't competed in 2021 or 2022

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Given that most people on here would say don't buy a horse if you can't

see it
try it
have it vetted by your own/your choice of vet

I've no idea why anyone thinks that mail order horses are a good way to go.

And that's without all the experiences that have been detailed on this forum over the years.

And yet people still click the buy it now button.

catembi

Visit site
I tried a mail order horse because I'd tried the normal, sensible route (substantial price, full-on sj breeding, tried the horse, 5 stage vetting at which I was present) & ended up with a PSSM who was sold as a happy hacker for 1/20 of what I'd paid for him, then I'd tried the cheapy ex-racer route, tried higher end dealer who did a midnight flit when I thought I was waiting for a vetting plus two more failed vettings & a load more ordinary, sane things. It was really wildly exciting to buy unseen, & I thought, eff it, I've had so much hassle with trying to buy horses sensibly that I might as well try something completely hare brained... What's the worst that could happen? Errm, defect in hoof covered with filler that cost £800 to investigate, undisclosed shiver resulting in an accident while picking out feet resulting in 2 weeks off work with concussion & very close to needing reconstructive surgery to the mouth injury from a hock to the chin, bitten very badly, picked up by my jacket & pinned against the fence & so spooky that I couldn't stay on her. Sold for 20% of what I'd paid. I can vouch that the hare brained route is hugely exciting but also hare brained!

Lady Jane

Visit site
Yes I looked at this and he seems to be more flapping his lips than opening his mouth. Only in a cavesson so no flash or drop to keep his mouth shut. His dressage scores in Ireland are quite consistent working from Prelim through Novice to Elem Probably won't go with this anyway as he hasn't competed in 2021 or 2022
His counter canter, shoulder in and leg yield is far from established and balanced but he does look a nice type