Get physio, get vet and physio?

Brimmers

Visit site
Horse completely unfit when I got him(I do not know his history in detail).
Spent 5 months hacking and getting to know each other - hes 14 year old and showjumped as 4/5 year old.
First couple of times in the school showed that he will strike off on right leg on right rein in canter, but he prefers to flying change to left leg if allowed. He does the same out hacking in straight lines, although not as quickly, generally only when he gets tired when cantering up a hill.
He also sometimes gets a bit backward after the canter transition on the right rein and throws a buck in, it feels like he compresses but then struggles to push forward maybe and bucks to sort his back legs out?
When tacking up, he rests his left hind and tries to balance on remaining two legs when I pull out his right leg to stretch out after doing up girth, he doesnt seem to like standing square behind when doing this. And finally, he does the same thing on the lunge without a rider on, much prefers the left lead.
We are about 15 times or so into the schooling now and although hes not getting any worse, I wouldn't say hes much better and I am reluctant to do more without ruling back/hock issues out. Saddle checked by master saddler 3 weeks ago and all fine.
Physio is getting back to me with a date, it is worth me getting the vet booked in as well? Any thoughts or similar experiences?

sport horse

Visit site
I would probably get vet before physio - physio will treat sore/strained muscles etc but if there is an underlying condition causing those muscles stress it is a waste of money treating them before the primary cause is dealt with.

Michen

Visit site
My youngster was struggling to get left canter lead. I got physio and then got vet. Physios findings were helpful to the vet.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I'd go physiotherapy or chiropractor first. But, if a body worker didnt improve the horse's way of going, then I'd go down vet route.

TheMule

Visit site
Vet first, and with a gold realistic idea of how much you can spend investigating and what your hopes are from the horse ridden wise. If you want a nice fun horse to enjoy at home then I would have a basic work up done and try a bute trial. If you have hopes of competing etc then I think I'd get him booked into the clinic for a more thorough work up

w1bbler

Visit site
I'd vote for both ? my chiropractor has been invaluable in steering veterinary investigations. Horse with multiple issues & she's been spot on with which investigations to push for.
She wouldn't treat the horse without me getting the vet involved, but they worked very well together.

Brimmers

Visit site
Thanks all. Vet booked for next week. Fingers crossed for something easy to identify and manage/fix ??

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I've gone for a chartered physio first, followed by the vet. My great physio listens, watches and feels, whereas the vet seems to leap into using diagnostic tests to eliminate possibilities as a first port of call.
A few times, the physio has pointed out issues for the vets attention, and to his credit, he respects her professional opinion, which carries more weight than my own.