Getting a Canter lead correct, top tips please

smiggy

Visit site
Ok, have semi educated pony who has been cantering in the school for a few months. We started with scruffy transitions but the right Canter leads and have progressed to blinding transitions on the left rein but completely lost right Canter.once we get it the Canter is fine but struggle to get the transition or the correct lead .
Have our first prelim in ten days so just looking for some top tips to help us try and find that Canter on right rein.
Before anyone suggests lessons, we have regular lessons and have three booked in next ten days , we will crack this ! Am on a mission 🤣
He does like to fall out through the left shoulder which I think is part of the issue, working on that !

fabbydo

Visit site
Walk to canter can help, especially if it's cobby type. Also lots of cantering out hacking or on the gallops to build their confidence and fitness. (Assuming all health and tack checks done😁)

HeyMich

Visit site
I find having a lot of bend towards the side you want the lead from makes a huge difference. That, plus slowing the trot right down to a joggy trot so the weight is all over the back legs helps too.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I find having a lot of bend towards the side you want the lead from makes a huge difference.

I find the opposite :)

Bend the head to the outside. Not ideal, but it can work short term while the horse sorts its legs out. It's the only way my weak four year old will currently strike on the right leg. Left is fine.

Abi90

Visit site
I find the opposite :)

Bend the head to the outside. Not ideal, but it can work short term while the horse sorts its legs out. It's the only way my weak four year old will currently strike on the right leg. Left is fine.

I had to do this for about a week with my mare, she cracked it by the end of the week and now we can ask with correct bend and get the right leg

smiggy

Visit site
Thanks all
Opposite bend makes sense, have been doing shoulder in on circle to straighten him into both reins .
Will give all ideas a go !
I think he is welsh cross cob as very active back legs and a bit lighter in build .C7F5396A-75CB-4371-8E95-7A20B794F6AF.jpeg

SpringArising

Visit site
Forward forward forward for babies who loose the lead.

Whereas I find the opposite. The OP didn't say he loses the lead they said he can't pick it up. If you let them run on it becomes one long disjointed mess and they don't learn anything either. Ask for the canter, if he starts to run on, bring it right back to a steady trot and ask again. Repeat as necessary and huge praise when he gets the right one.

Is he off the leg enough? Walk to canter is a good exercise for this.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes, as above, outside bend, this opens up the inside shoulder which makes it easier for the horse to take this lead, but remember that the first step comes from the hindleg. I found walk to canter the only solution to a long standing problem with one horse and since then have used it with other horses. For one thing, it gives you time to organise yourself and really think of your own position and the timing of aids and keeping your own body still and steady - not forgetting the voice aid as well. So you are putting everything in place for success.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Struggling with correct canter leads can be a sign of pelvis issues have you had him checked by your physio?
We had this with our cob & physio has greatly improved it
Also straightness training helps as most just like humans have weaker & stronger side.

wren123

Visit site
The opposite bend does work, it's not correct at all but I've used it for a short period.

A better method getting the horse working more correctly is leg yielding to the track them immediately asking for canter.

Branna

Visit site
Lots of tricks you can try that might not be 'correct' but can work short time until you get re-established.

One light-bulb recommendation for mine was ask for the canter from a rising trot on the incorrect diagonal.
I have also found a little outside flexion can work.
And agree the leg yield either to the track, or from a smaller circle onto a larger circle gets outside hind activated.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Bend to the outside so that the weight is on the outside shoulder, which is turn frees up the inside leg which hopefully the Horse will use to strike off on.

Asking for canter over a ground pole.

Walk to canter.

Littlebear

Visit site
The opposite bend does work, it's not correct at all but I've used it for a short period.

A better method getting the horse working more correctly is leg yielding to the track them immediately asking for canter.

I was also going to suggest the above x

smiggy

Visit site
I might try leg yielding to track as we are doing prelim 1 where you pick up Canter after the Diagonal so can sort of sneak that in to test if it works !
Got one right today with outside bend !
Can’t do too many as he gets worried So we have to mix it up a bit, and it’s hot too

Branna

Visit site
I might try leg yielding to track as we are doing prelim 1 where you pick up Canter after the Diagonal so can sort of sneak that in to test if it works !
Got one right today with outside bend !
Can’t do too many as he gets worried So we have to mix it up a bit, and it’s hot too

I find the canter transition after the diagonal one of the easier places to do it - just don't change your diagonal! Honestly give it a try, won't work for every one but it's worked on many youngsters I have known.