Getting a ex racehorse to lunge on right rein..?!

GypsyGirl

Visit site
Hi everyone,

So I have a 6year old tb mare and she's coming along great. Now on the lunge she is brilliant, but only on the left rein.

I lunge about 3times a week to help her transitions from trot to canter and helping with her balance. Now she is fantastic on the left rein walk trot and canter, go to lunge on the left and as soon as you have changed the line over and go to step away she will run really quickly around you in small circles, she will then rear (big and up vertical) and she will buck and tries to snatch the lunge line from you.

Now today she was like it she went about 6ft in the air, everytime I lunge she will not go on this rein.

Now I no in her racing career everything was done on the left, being led, tacked up etc so I started leading her on the right and shell put you on her left side. I'm just finding it difficult to get her to even walk a couple of strides on her right rein.

Right rein is also difficult when ridden she finds it hard to bend.

I ordered a Pessoa last night so I'm helping this will help but does anyone have any lunging tips to try and get her on this right rein?

She moves beautifully on the left rein just this one is so hard!

Thank you in advance!

LouS

Visit site
Have you had everything physical checked? And tack etc?

If its all fine then you need to drive her shoulders out rather than trying to get behind her. Get the end of your line and swing it over arm at her shoulders until she goes out, you have to correct her immediately every time she tries to stop and spin, she'll give in eventually.

I lunge with two lines which is much better for them and its easier to change direction, you just turn them away from you and off you go on the other rein.

overtherainbow

Visit site
Have you had her back checked? It could also be her eyes? You want to know shes not in pain before you start to push her into working on that side. Then maybe just start in the stable etc getting her used to being worked from that side before leading her round on the right rein before starting to move away to build her confidence on that side on the lunge.

GypsyGirl

Visit site
Yeah everything has been checked she's all fine in that respect it's just the pain of the right rein, yeah I tried this today but had to step back before I got kicked when she went up, she runs with her bum out whilst facing you if that makes sence so when I try to stand near her right shoulder she immediately puts herself so she's standing opposite you? Not sure if that makes sence then you ask her to move out and go round but shel just run as fast as she can then spin and rear come down and start bucking. Once I managed to get her back on the floor with all 4 hooves today she just charges around the school like a maniac lol! Maybe there's something I'm doing wrong :S

LouS

Visit site
You need to be able to move her shoulders so she can't use them against you. Practise doing some lateral work in hand, start on her good rein and push her shoulder until her near foreleg crosses over her off fore. Keep repeating until she gets it then do the same on the other side. She should bend/flex her head and neck towards you as she steps over. It is easy from this point to ask her to walk out onto a circle by pushing her shoulders further and then asking her forwards.

GypsyGirl

Visit site
Overtherainbow: last year she bashed her head on her old feeding post and she got a splint across her forehead, so the vet came up to have a look at her checked her all over and nothing had any damage (checked all her eyes etc) he just said that it's a splint it may go away and it may not, it did go down. Then in September the vet came out again for her vaccination and he checked her over again then and gave us the all clear checked her eyes and everything again.

I have also been working with her on the right side so leading her on the right, grooming her, I play with her in the school when the lunge is on the left side i stand on the right to pat her all over and also walk back so I'm by her tail on right side to see how far I can get each time, then I see how far I can get standing away from her on the right with her standing still to get her used to me being on the right side (If that makes sence :S) I think its just difficult for them when they have been taught to do something for so long on ones side, to then go and do it on the right and both reins isnt normal for her, practice makes perfect but it's so difficult x

GypsyGirl

Visit site
LouS: thats great will try that and fingers crossed it will work. Little difficult mare! My friend was watching today and she said that Maisie (my horse) knows what to do it's just stubborness! Ah well will keep going with it! Lol

Dirty_D

Visit site
What does she do if you have someone lunge you whilst your on her?

It might be interesting to see what she does, (obviously not putting yourself in danger though!)

Can she pick up the right canter lead generally on the right rein?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Please be careful putting a Pessoa on her I really would try to her lunge calmly on both reins before trying one a bungee rien or a lunging rope would be where I would start.
I would go back to basics and get her walking in circles on the the right rien and progress to doing walk and halt on the right on lunge and take it from there. It's unusual for a horse to be so one sided and to see no physical reason in the muscles that can account for it .
has a good equine physio seen the horse I have only seen one very one sided horse on the lunge he had been a near side horse in a driving team and his muscle development told the whole story. The physio and taking things slowly and gently got us there in the end .

wtdnh131

Visit site
may not be very useful as ive only been riding for 6 years, nothing compared to most of the people on here but in racing yes most of the stuff is done on the left, there are a few right handed tracks but the majority are left handed, in the parade ring etc horses are always led on the left so jockeys are always legged up on the left etc, but if theres one thing i know its practice makes perfect so just keep trying and take advice from what the others have said :)

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
to be honest i wouldn't put on paossa on her if she is that bad our exracer used have the right rein as his stiff and sore rein as he isn't used to bending and doing things on it.
We got him a sports massage every month and did lots of deep grooming, ground work and carrot stretches to him him relax and even out and strenghen his muscle build up and just to get him used to bending as its not something he would have done.

a paossa would hurt her if she did any of what she is doing with it on and you would end up with a horse with a very bad back and screw up lunging for her, its not a fix to the problem it will just make it worse. ive got one as it is a good training aid when used right but would not put it on any horse who reared on the lunge as it would trap them and hurt them.

xxx

Goldenstar

Visit site
to be honest i wouldn't put on paossa on her if she is that bad our exracer used have the right rein as his stiff and sore rein as he isn't used to bending and doing things on it.
We got him a sports massage every month and did lots of deep grooming, ground work and carrot stretches to him him relax and even out and strenghen his muscle build up and just to get him used to bending as its not something he would have done.

a paossa would hurt her if she did any of what she is doing with it on and you would end up with a horse with a very bad back and screw up lunging for her, its not a fix to the problem it will just make it worse. ive got one as it is a good training aid when used right but would not put it on any horse who reared on the lunge as it would trap them and hurt them.

xxx

This is really good advice who ever advised you to get a Pessoa is taking you off down the wrong track.

GypsyGirl

Visit site
Please make sure your horse is comfortable lunging loose (ie just bridle/lunging cavesson) on both reins before considering a Pessoa. IMO there are better lunging aids; a chambon or de gogue for example.

When I lunge she is lunged in just a bridle and lunge line because I like to see her stretch, the reason I have ordered the pessoa is to help after we have concoured all of this and can help later on.

What does she do if you have someone lunge you whilst your on her?

It might be interesting to see what she does, (obviously not putting yourself in danger though!)

Can she pick up the right canter lead generally on the right rein?

I havnt tried lunging her with someone on her - or me .. im not sure what she would be like but I have an instructor coming to help me on sunday so she will be able to see/help me.

Her transitions walk trot and canter are perfect on both reins, the only thing that she does is tries to run into canter to im lunging her to slow her down then asking for canter so we can concoure it on the lunge and help her balance and then will do it ridden if that makes sence? she moves really nicely and works in a nice outline when shes asked to.

xxx

sports massage, she would love that! good idea! I wonder if she has some sort of stiffness/weakness in this rein could be interesting to find out. I wont be using the pessoa until we have sorted all this out but finding out the problem.

I have just spoken to the guy who I bought her from (year and half ago) and he said that hes done some long reining with her, he said that she may not just like the rein and if it continues then to get it looked at obvs but to try and work threw it.

I dont want her to be in any pain, and the vet has seen her like I said hopefully we will sort it out soon!