Getting answers

Ceriann

Visit site
Red started her full investigation at equine hospital today - she’s just not come right after 3 months of rest post what appeared to be a field hooley related injury. I stayed for the full work up - she showed signs of low level lameness on both hinds in different tests, albeit overall assessment was really poor performance. The senior vet is leaning toward an SI issue and/or suspensories. She’ll be bone scanned tomorrow and we’ll go from there. Glad I’ve pushed for referral but dreading the results - I’ve only had her just less than 2 years but she’s a very special mare that has got me enjoying riding again after a very bad fall. I’m keeping everything crossed it isn’t as bad as I was warned it might be.

Last edited:

Ceriann

Visit site
Thanks. She was so well behaved - I was so proud of her as it was so busy and she’s not been anywhere for ages (even if that also meant she wasn’t too fussed about being left there!).

Ceriann

Visit site
Even my OH is reading the mood and hasn’t once asked about cost! Whatever it takes to make sure she’s ok - i’ll be holding him to that! I’ll probably get bone scan results tomorrow so that’s something - then it’s a wait for further tests until she’s out of isolation.

Ceriann

Visit site
Bone scan was far from conclusive - there is an SI issue but not a severe hot spot so we go on to nerve blocking hinds tomorrow to see whether we are looking at suspensories. Vet is clear this is now the most likely issue. Tomorrow will tell - can’t be relieved re bone scan given what’s left as likely.

Ceriann

Visit site
Thank you - def everything crossed! I’m trying to find the positive that at least it isn’t kissing spine or similar with then for suspensories. I’ve been on the FB page for psd and so many horses with multiple issues I’m not sure how people cope. She’s charming everyone at hospital apparently - a big favourite with the students because she’s so kind to them!

SEL

Visit site
Thank you - def everything crossed! I’m trying to find the positive that at least it isn’t kissing spine or similar with then for suspensories. I’ve been on the FB page for psd and so many horses with multiple issues I’m not sure how people cope. She’s charming everyone at hospital apparently - a big favourite with the students because she’s so kind to them!
Keeping everything crossed. I'm one of the posters wafting around the PSD page so if you do and up with that diagnosis then it's very supportive.

In fact my FB membership is pretty much made up of horsey medical type pages...

Ceriann

Visit site
Keeping everything crossed. I'm one of the posters wafting around the PSD page so if you do and up with that diagnosis then it's very supportive.

In fact my FB membership is pretty much made up of horsey medical type pages...

Thanks - ive already found it really informative, full of practical advice on rehab etc and pretty positive. Do you have psd experience or problematic horse experience? I have a long day if waiting today - they are unlikely to finish until late as shes still in isolation this morning.

SEL

Visit site
Thanks - ive already found it really informative, full of practical advice on rehab etc and pretty positive. Do you have psd experience or problematic horse experience? I have a long day if waiting today - they are unlikely to finish until late as shes still in isolation this morning.

I have a walking vet's bill. So far I have become invited to learn all I can about ulcers, PSSM, hock arthritis, suspensory problems and sacroiliac problems. Its looking more likely 'something' happened when she was young that has caused her hindquarters to stiffen up - possibly going over backwards - but whether or not she's fixable is still up for debate. Currently under the care of vets, osteos, herbalists and a couple of equine witch doctors :oops: And they all seem to have different ideas as to how I take this forward.....

Let us know how you get on - the waiting is awful!

Ceriann

Visit site
So the latest is - she blocked positive below the suspensory on left hind. This has surprised the vets! The impact was significantly positive - enough so that they paused the rest of the blocking (plan was to work upwards) and start again Monday, blocking foot, pastern and then fetlock. Left hind suspensory ultrasound was also “normal”. They are warning me there is still a risk its the suspensory as block can travel up and ultrasound isnt always 100% but im happy to take the positive today. That and tjd fact right hind didnt become an issue when left blocked. More tests Monday and we’ve still git a bit to get through but im seeing light - i hope . . . .