Getting back into competing after having a baby...

Hels_Bells

Visit site
So it's been the longest 9 months ever having not been able to ride for pretty much all of it but now I have only 2 weeks to go until due date I'm daring to think about being able to ride again and am almost as excited about that as the new arrival!!! In fact I think I might actually cry when I finally get to take my boy out for a ride again. But perhaps that is just the hormones... ;)

I've been steering clear of HHO in all honesty as I've just been too fed up with not being able to ride and it would have just made me green with envy seeing everyone's comp reports etc etc so apols for being so quiet for so long, but as I now feel the light at the end of the tunnel is a bit closer I just thought I'd put a post on to say hi to everyone again and to get some idea of others' experience of getting back into it after having had a baby.

Main question is of course how soon after the baby were you able to get out and about with your horse? How did you cope with mucking out and yard duties etc with baby to look after/in tow too (especially if you had your horse at home or on total DIY yard)? How did you find your "nerve" when you got back on - I've heard quite a lot of people feel like they lose their nerve quite a lot after having a baby and am hoping this is just an old wives tale - did anyone on here find that?? How long did it take you to get your horse fit again if they had a long lay-off like mine has - I would imagine it will take me much longer to get him fit again as I won't be able to ride as often or as long as I normally would to get him fit again.

I know people say I will be lucky if I can wash my hair never mind ride a horse but I'm remaining optimisitic that somehow things will come together. So all tales of post baby riding and competing plus general hints and tips of cunning ways of juggling babies and horses v welcome indeed. :D:D

freshy

Visit site
hey. congratulations, hope all goes well!

okay, my story is extremely positive and i wish i'd heard more positive stories when i was expecting as all you ever hear is how hard horses and babies will be!

well i had my baby 5 months ago now. unfortunately i ended up with an emergency c section but actually it wasn't that bad and i recovered really quickly, but i refuse to be house bound!!!
i got back on my horse exactly 6 weeks after c section and it was totally fine. no pain, nothing. and considering my stomach muscles had been cut through i managed to withstand a major spook!
i literally drag my baby everywhere with me! poo picking included. all weathers. i use a carrier and they are the best thing ever.
in the week i school and baby sits in her car seat and watches, at weekend i hack and husband either walks with the baby with me or he takes her out somewhere. i breast feed on demand so makes other people looking after baby a bit tricky but on the plus side i can feed anytime anywhere. i often have vet/farrier visits and will be at yard for 4/5 hours straight and baby just gets strapped on and does whatever i do. i even feed her in carrier by flopping boob out lol!
due to being on maternity leave i actually ride MORE at the moment! i did an easy dressage test 4 weeks ago just to ease back in as my fitness wasn't what it was and off to a ode this weekend! again, baby will come with me and husband or mum will look after whilst i actually ride.

i just want to tell you that it isn't that hard. i'm sick of folk making such a big thing abut it. just take baby with you, keeping it close at all times! for what its worth my baby loves getting out now!! she's a right outdoor girl!!!

freshy

Visit site
oh, forgot to say, i never follow any sort of routine! if baby is tired she sleeps, if shes hungry i feed her. end of! and she hardly ever cries as were always out and about so lots to see!

Cazzah

Visit site
Congratulations!

Positive story from me too :D

Hopped back on my TB 6 weeks afterwards (natural birth but BIG baby ;) or I'd have been on sooner!). I'd turned him away for 5 months or so and just built up or fitness gradually but I was popping round a CR about 6 weeks after that and out XC after about 10 weeks. I actually think that turning him away was the best thing I have ever done for him - the horse that went in the field was still slightly stressed, grumpy and muscled up from racing days but the horse that came out was much more chilled and ready for work and fun!

I am more aware of the consequences of an accident but by no means have lost my nerve and if anything I have been jumping bigger tracks this year than ever before (son now 2 1/2). I'm about to do my first BE100 at the end of the month :D

My horse was on DIY and is now kept at home. It is do-able with a baby in tow - I remember clipping my horse with a two month old baby wrapped up in the pram next to me who was mesmerised. I kept my horse out most of the time but this was purely because the stables were miles from the field and it was the middle of winter when the baby was tiny. It did make it easier in terms of maintenance though - didn't matter if I was a bit late down in the mornings etc. OH had a designated 'baby day' at weekend when I would have a few hours down at the yard catching up with jobs and going for a decent hack. My mum was also a great help.

I now work full time and my son is in nursery but I condense my hours and finish at lunch on a friday and I have a really good horsey afternoon most weeks - it is my chill out time! I probably don't ride as much as I did before the baby but still do enough to compete regularly, school, hack and have regular lessons. My other spare time is also spent with my son and his new best friend - a pony. It's all good :D

It can be done - if you want it to work you can make it happen.

Chaos

Visit site
The above reply could be me pretty much word for word!!
My little girl is also 5 months old, watches/sleeps at side of arena whilst I school, my trainer keeps an eye on her during my jump lesson.

I also had c-section, back on at 8 weeks, unfortunately though my tummy muscles aren't too great. I carried on poo-picking and lifting etc until I had her & consequently even before labour began my muscles had split (I hadn't realised). But never mind, I'm jumping regular & the only reason I'm not back competing is because the lorry needs plating & there is along wait!

Please don't listen to everyone. If you want to make it work you will. Everyone told us I would not be able to ride & my husband should make the most of fishing. My husbands fishing has hardly been disrupted, he regularly fishes over night (my theory is that I'm sleeping & there is not much he can do! I was breast feeding until last week.) We are incredibly happy & our girl has fitted in with us & our lifestyles and neither has been compromised.

Sorry, this is a very long message. But we got so fed up with people telling us how our lives would change and how we weren;t ready. But it can be done. :)

Last edited:

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Thanks so much for your positive messages Freshy and Cazzah and Congrats on your new arrivals too!! :D

I had always envisaged wrapping up the bundle and sitting it in a warm pram while I fed and mucked out of a morning but was beginning to question whether it could work or not after so many people have come up with tales of being housebound doing nothing but feeding and changing day in and day out. But I guess that's more the very early days which don't last forever! It usually takes me about 1 hour to do all of mine in a morning, so was also wondering if that's ok for baby especially if we have a really cold winter etc but if it's too nasty I could hopefully leave baby with my mum who lives practically next door.

I know exactly what you mean about the break for the horse Cazzah. My guy usually ends up having a break in winter for a month or two depending on weather and every time comes back a better and more focused horse. Funny isn't it?! I just wonder whether 7/8 months will work in the opposite direction!!! ;)

Also good to know you hadn't lost your nerve. I had planned to have our first go at an intermediate BE this season until I got pregnant so not sure if I will actually get up the nerve or not to do that (or even get back out at novice!) after the baby arrives but I guess I just need to take it a step at a time and see what happens!

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Thanks to you too Chaos!!! Just seen your post - we must have crossed over. Oh I so hope I have a similar story too. You get so much negativity from other Mums sometimes and it's such an "unknown" situation/future that you just don't know what will be possible or feasible so your tales are all a big help. I too have a brilliant trainer who is really a bit of a second mum to me anyway and is dying to baby-sit both whilst giving lessons and at other times too, so hopefully that will also be a help!

pokerface

Visit site
I'm so pleased there ARE other people that just get on with it and make it work, I had so many people saying I would nt feel the same about competing, and would nt be able to be as committed to my job, but am happy to say my boy is now 18 months, I was back riding after 3 weeks, eventing in 4. In hindsight I prob should have waited 6 weeks to compete! As didn't do brilliantly, but rode the sensible one of the 3! don't get me wrong i have an amazing mum, don't listen to the people that will tell u u can't do it, if u want to u will! At times I have cried I'm so tired but there are worse

Chaos

Visit site
With regards to competing, I did a few Intermediates last year & was aiming to start Intermediate Novice this year, but like I said my issue is more lorry.

I get a lot of help from Lucinda Green, and she asked why am I putting pressure on myself and just go back to Pn for 1 or 2. If he (my horse) takes the mick over them then so be it. But just to go have fun, so think I will do that next year (bonus, its also a bit easier on my purse!)

I haven't found my nerve has been effected at all. I totally forget about her when I'm riding, if anything I'm just as competitive.

freshy

Visit site
honestly it will be fine, the longer outdoors the better really. who wants to be stuck indoors? babies included!

get your self a decent carrier or sling as baby will love being close to you. i find it much better than the pram. they'll be warmer close to you too. i have 2 horses on diy and muck them out with baby in carrier.
in the very early days i found baby mostly slept whilst in carrier and they sleep thru everything!
the only thing i did was put horses on full livery for 2 weeks post birth which was lovely as didnt have to worry about them whilst i got to grips with baby. but soon after the 2 weeks i was out that house like a shot!!!
maybe full livery for 2 weeks would be a good idea? or at least someone who can keep eye on them

nannubu

Visit site
Congratulations! I know exactly what you mean about being overly excited about getting back on your horse.... and new arrival too, obviously ;). I had bought a new horse when I got pregnant and felt like I had to wait yonks to actually test drive him. We did do pregnant potters about but it's not the same!
I'm not going to lie and say it isn't hard but actually I've come to the conclusion that having your horse time is even more important post baby. Your identity does shift and a sea of nappies and feeds might threaten to eclipse you in the early days so having somewhere that's just for you is really vital. Draw your lines in the sand now and it helps alot if your partner is singing off the same hymn sheet :) or if you have some nice supportive friends or family.
I actually have more nerve post babies. We did our first ODE this year and plan to do first BE in Spring. I think that might be a reaction to wrapping yourself up in cotton wool during pregnancy. I swear, if my husband had said 'use the handrail' one more time, I would not have been responsible for my actions... I needed an adrenaline fix after all that mollycoddling ;)
Good luck and invest in a good sports bra and some of those nipple bads; this may well be too much information but the nerves before a comp used to make me lactate... that's probably just me though!:D

freshy

Visit site
Good luck and invest in a good sports bra and some of those nipple bads; this may well be too much information but the nerves before a comp used to make me lactate... that's probably just me though!:D[/QUOTE]

no, not just you lol!!!!xx

nannubu

Visit site
Good luck and invest in a good sports bra and some of those nipple bads; this may well be too much information but the nerves before a comp used to make me lactate... that's probably just me though!:D

no, not just you lol!!!!xx[/QUOTE]

I feel marginally better Freshy, thanks! :) Thought this was turning into a sweaty bum in jods thread :D

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Thanks Chaos - I agree that is a really good tip about competing. I am thinking that I will try to take a slightly more "enjoyment-focussed" view of competing after baby comes along as I think I will almost appreciate it a bit more so I actually might try not to put as much pressure on myself and just enjoy competing at a level I'm comfy at... but then again I know what I'm like and I'll probably start wanting to push out of my comfort zone as usual.... we'll see!!

Thanks also for the advice on baby carriers etc Freshy - will definitely bear that in mind - could I ask what sort of carrier you used? We have been given a baby-bjorn one by a neighbour and am also thinking about getting a babasack (I think that's what they're called) which is more of a sling than a carrier. Only problem is that I have really dodgy knees which have a knock on effect on my back so wondering if the extra weight might not do me any good whilst mucking out but by god it might shift the pregnancy pounds!! :D

Hels_Bells

Visit site
I'm quite lucky for livery option etc as my hubby is taking first 2 weeks off after new arrival comes (we run our own business so it's flexible when he can stop work etc) and will help or probably take charge of horses for first 2 weeks which will be great.

I was wondering about actually getting more gutsy nannubu because surely after you've been through labour the idea of doing a massive XC (or a dressage test which I actually always find more daunting!) must actually seem quite trivial!!! ;)

Thanks also all for the heads up on what seems to be the universally recognised need for nursing pads whilst competing after birth!!! Tee hee hee! :D :D

freshy

Visit site
Thanks Chaos - I agree that is a really good tip about competing. I am thinking that I will try to take a slightly more "enjoyment-focussed" view of competing after baby comes along as I think I will almost appreciate it a bit more so I actually might try not to put as much pressure on myself and just enjoy competing at a level I'm comfy at... but then again I know what I'm like and I'll probably start wanting to push out of my comfort zone as usual.... we'll see!!

Thanks also for the advice on baby carriers etc Freshy - will definitely bear that in mind - could I ask what sort of carrier you used? We have been given a baby-bjorn one by a neighbour and am also thinking about getting a babasack (I think that's what they're called) which is more of a sling than a carrier. Only problem is that I have really dodgy knees which have a knock on effect on my back so wondering if the extra weight might not do me any good whilst mucking out but by god it might shift the pregnancy pounds!! :D

try a few first, if you google sling meetings you'll find a local group where you can go try slings for free. i was all for the stetchy sling type ones but i found for the yard i prefered something sturdier like the bjorn. in the end i just went for a mother care standard carrier. 22 quid i think. now my baby is older and nosier she faces out. when she was very small she faced in. she slept about 99% of the time in it. once you have that baby out you'll feel like a new person again! i sometimes have a bad back but it aint half as bad using the carrier as it was lumping the baby around in my tummy lol!

NeverSayNever

Visit site
congrats! :D Another positive story here:cool: My baby is 4 months old. We had a difficult but normal delivery. I got back on and rode very gently after 4 weeks and havent looked back. I would say though that it has taken, and is still taking time ti get my core muscles and pelvis back to what they were and I recommend seeing an Osteopath after your 6 week check, mine has been a Godsend.

As for managing - like someone else said. I do more now that I did when I was working:D My horses are at home but my baby either comes out in his pram or I ride when hubby comes home at tea time and we eat late. I also have 6 border collies that I train and compete including a pup:cool:

My baby IS easy though and they arent all like that but its definitely not always the doom and gloom people like to make out it is so dont listen to the ‘oh your life will never be the same again’ comments - it wont be, it will be BETTER :D:D:D

oldbaymare

New User
Visit site
Never posted on here before but as your asking all the questions I wanted to know when I was pregnant thought I'd give you my view!
Basically, ignore everyone who tells you that you can't still get out and enjoy your horses! It sounds a little selfish, but you will need somewhere to escape to every now and then. I have never grinned so much as when I went on a 20 minute hack 10 days after having my daughter.
As for competing, I can honestly say I enjoy mine more than ever. I'm so lucky to have fab husband, parents and in laws and can't deny, without them, it'd be hard. But to be able to go out for day with horsey mates and not have to be mum for a bit is lovely!
You do have to be a little realistic, and there may be days (or weeks) when you just can't get out and ride. But as long as hes got grub, your horse will survive so don't feel bad! Good luck!

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Oh you guys are all fab!! It's so good to hear so many positive thoughts and stories. I wonder if it's just that horsey people are much more "get on and do it" in their attitude and the rest of the world is worrying that old ladies in the street will frown upon them having a baby outdoors before it's 2 years old... ;)

Thanks for the brilliant advice about carrier trials Freshy! I will have a google.

Love you collies pic NeverSay - they are gorgeous! And your comment about life will never be the same again just better made me smile loads!

Oldbaymare - "I have never grinned so much as when I went on a 20 minute hack 10 days after having my daughter" this is sooooo going to be me too. I just simply can't wait, I honestly think it's going to be the best ride out of my entire life when I finally get back on... I suspect my bored darling boy is going to feel the same too hopefully he won't get too carried away with getting his freedom back!! ;) :D

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I don't compete as such unless you count hunter trials and novice team chasing but do hunt and am the proud mother of a 10 month old baby!!

Had someone keep my horse fit the last 2 months of pregnancy and for the first 4 weeks after I'd had baby. I had an emergency C section which I think actually meant I could get back on earlier as my lady bits were all intact and it didn't hurt to sit down!! I healed really well as well so didn't hurt at all when I got back on. Went hunting at 6 weeks and didn't look back!!

It all worked really well for me too - baby was a star and would sleep when I was doing yard jobs. I did have to ride in the dark to exercise before OH went to work through Dec - Jan but am used to riding before work anyway so not a problem and then it just got lighter in the mornings. Went hunting every Sat and OH had baby and also managed to have a few week days by getting a babysitter.

I managed to have a few days in the school by parking baby nextdoor to the fence whilst I did circles.

She is now 10 months old and I'm back to work 4 days a week and so am riding before work again, OH deals with baby until I get back and then I get her and me ready for nursery and work and off we go.

You can make it as difficult or as easy as you like and babies are pretty adaptable. I would have gone nuts if I didn't have my horse through my maternity leave. Horse is what kept me sane and I love her even more for it. And what is also so great is that baby LOVES horse so is quite happy to be parked up nearby.

Whoever said babies and horses don't go together are obviously completely unaware of how good women are at multi tasking!!

Booboos

Visit site
Those last few weeks of the pregnancy were the most frustrating for me, I couldn't wait to meet the baby! Hope your little one makes a timely appearance!

I have had a slightly different experience from others on the thread, I would say that my life is completely different from what it was but for me this is a good thing as it is better (to make a point MiniBoo is currently stroking my arm as I type, very cute!).

I keep the baby at home so I can only ride when my very helpful groom-turned-nanny keeps her for me. As a result I only ride about half or less of what I did before. My abdominals were quite affected by the pregnancy, they still have not knitted back together (15 months later they are still a finger's width apart) which does affect my position (for the first time in my life I lean back!). I have only managed to compete twice this year but that was also because there aren't as many competitions round here.

When she was smaller there were many days when I had to give up on everything else as she was teething or goign through a growth spurt plus she was and still is a very poor sleeper, so I was very, very tired even if someone had been able to keep her for me. I only ever managed to ride once with her in the buggy! Now that she's up and about she needs constant attention as she can get into trouble in no time!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Good luck with the labour! I was like you - desperate to get back riding again although I did ride through my pregnancy doing my last dressage competition in February and my little boy Leo (who is currently sitting on my knee!) came in May.

When you can ride really depends hugely on how your labour goes. I fully planned to have a nice straight forward birth as everyone does, however I didn't. I ended up getting HELPP syndrome and had to have an emergency full general anaesthetic c-section. My blood pressure went sky high during the operation and my blood wouldnt clot etc. etc. so basically I wasn't very well after it and spent 3 days after being drugged up and totally out of it! My c-section was darn sore as well, I was bent double for a week. But normal c-sections they get you moving about very quickly after which Im told makes it far less painful! I waited until my 6 week check after before getting on a pony (that same day), a very safe one just to check that I wouldnt wobble off! The week after I then got a friends pony to back for her, it threw me off 2 months after my c-section and then again very badly at 2 1/2 months! My section didnt hurt though luckily by this point although they say it takes a long time for it to properly heal. I did my first competition (BSJA) on a new horse that Id had a week, 3 weeks ago (Leo was 3 months). Everything felt fine, my innards didnt fly out as I thought, lol. My only problem is my fitness, its amazing how horrifically it disappears with birth! TBH, if Id had my normal horse (he's broken sadly) then I probably would have been out competing him at about 2 months I think, perhaps just BSJA and then eventing now onwards.

Nerve-wise, I worried about this as I thought I might feel differently when I got back on but I haven't, even after being chucked twice already ;) although I was quicker in getting rid of that pony than I probably would have been had I not had the responsibility of a baby now. My OH is the problem, he's the one who wants me to stop riding and tells me Im never eventing again... uh huh...! Personally I am just as competitive as before. Oh, and to compete - you'll need a babysitter to either keep the baby at home or at the event! My mum does this for me, she's my groom as well as my sitter ;) Couldnt do it without her!

A lot therefore depends on not just what sort of birth you have (if you have it naturally and dont require any ah hem... stitches then you could be on after a week!), it also depends what sort of horse you have. If he's sensible then you'll likely get on him quicker than if he's not so much. Also, a lot depends on your baby - Im very lucky that Leo is a very happy baby generally so he doesn't cry much (only if he needs something like food). I imagine it could be hell trying to get things done with a cryer...

With regards to mucking out etc. / general yard stuff - my mum had to do it for a week after I got out of hospital as I was still in a lot of pain, I could vaguelly walk over to the yard but I'd also feel very faint (I was on BP pills for 6 weeks after). I'd start doing the odd thing thereafter but obviously couldnt lift water buckets etc. I'd say it took a month before I was doing the full bit again. I keep my horses at home so I just park Leo in the hay store in his car seat with the door open while I muck out / feed etc. He's learnt that he'll be there for a good 45 mins so he normally just goes to sleep. If not, then I park him where he can watch what Im doing and he's normally perfectly happy. You just have to time riding round when he's asleep, but you'll find a routine where you know your baby normally has a nap so try to go ride then (and park him by the school so you can keep an eye on him obviously).

Last edited:

rebmw

Visit site
Congratulations!

For me, after I had my baby, who is now almost one, I was back looking after my horses immediately as I have them at home. They were both roughed off so as someone earlier said, I didn't feel so pressured to go out at set times and could adapt around my baby.

I breast fed and found it physically quite draining. It meant I would weigh up, would I rather have a quick nap or go and do horsey things? Most of the time, sleep won! My son had reflux so didn't sleep well during the day so you get a bit obsessed with sleeping when you can. Also my husband works away from home 5, 6, 7 days a week and with no family nearby I have to cope on my own a lot.

However, I would take my baby out every day and I loved standing in the field whatever the weather getting my fix of fresh air. Kept me sane! I used to wonder what mums who didn't have horses did with their spare time?!

I started riding again 5 months later. I could've started earlier but it was winter, I have no arena and I wanted to start getting my horse fit when I knew I could see it through. Also by then my baby was in a good routine, sleeping better and more importantly I had the energy to put into riding properly.

As far as competing, we were almost there until my horse messed about in the field and fractured his sesamoid and caused some thickening to his annular ligament. Absolutely gutted, as I'd worked so hard to get where we were and was really looking forward to getting out and about. So 2 months into box rest and counting...

At least my little boy keeps me occupied!

Enjoy being a mummy. It truely is such a special time which goes so quickly. And although things change as far as your priorities are concerned, it's not always a bad thing

Newlands

Visit site
Congratulations! Another positive post, if you want to do it you can! Our baby is 6 months now and the time does does bye. I was desperate to get back on my boy too and got on after 3 weeks it did hurt but I had had an episiotomy plus extra stitches, but the joy of being back up there was worth it, I hacked again a few days later and had to come back in the jockey position so left it a bit longer. I haven't managed much completion wise, one jump lesson, eventers challenge, SJ comp and a play out clear round xc. But I have been enjoying my me time hacks of just being able to up and go for a bit. I come home refreshed and ready to be mum again. I have my two living out on DIY and with no family near us I see to them myself with baby accompanying me, in the early days he would pass out in the baby bjorn while I pooh picked, did fencing and odd bits now I park him up in his push chair and do what I can while he entertains himself or sleeps. The horses do keep me sane (or not?!) and give us a need to get out of the house. My baby is now fascinated with the horses and reaches out to stroke them and my two happily let him. It can be done and it's lovely having your baby around your other loves/ but also lovely when hubby had baby and you get the me time. Enjoy and good luck- I can't describe how much I love being a mum it's amazing!

Sprig

Visit site
I just thought I would let you know what slings I used, in case it helps. I did not even own a pushchair until baby was more than a year old. Did all horsey things, walked the dogs, went shopping etc with him in a sling - so much easier and we have some great chats as we go about our business!
Moby wrap from day one. It is excellent at keeping them really close to you so they stay snug and do not wobble about at all. You put them in different positions as they grow. If you look this up it looks terribly complicated and long winded to put on but it is not at all. I loved mine, think I used this to about 9 months (big baby).
Ergo Sport carrier when he was bigger. Slightly more structured but still goes on the front and very comfy and quick to put on and off. Can use it as a back carrier too.
LittleLife back carrier. I have the smallest version they do so it is not too bulky. Baby sits up nice and high so has a great view of what is going on. The weight is mainly taken on your hips so doesn't feel too heavy. Baby is now 13kg and I can still happily carry him around for a couple of hours at a time.

Joss

Visit site
Another positive reply for you. Oh & I am beating you my due date is next Weds;):D

With baby no 1 I have managed pretty well. I had 2 horses living at home & stabled at night, out in the day. I mucked out the day I went into labour & was back at it 3 days later:) I just used to time it for when she was having a snooze in her pram. I do have an armchair in my feed room & often used to sit in there breast feeding.

I didnt quite make it to the recommended 6 weeks post birth to have my first ride & I was quite comfortable (despite many stitches:eek:) However, I found timing between feeds for the 1st couple of months tricky therefore it was probably 2 months before horse & I got back into regular work.

I dont think my nerve was affected - I came back to a young horse & starting again having passed on the ride on my old advanced horse to a friend when I was pregnant. I found it rather fun & relaxing going back to Intro so probably less nervous.

Took me a little while to build up core strength but nothing that affected my 'general' riding. It is also worth concentrating on the pelvic floor exercises:D:D:eek:

Absolutely agree with everyone who says 'if you want to do it you will' It is easy doing horses with a baby slightly more tricky with a toddler who is keen to brush between the back legs of your event horse. I have a playpen in the middle of my yard & my daughter has learnt to accept that she has to sit in there when horses are moving about the yard. As she does this twice a day every single day it is no problem.

Now then............can I manage this with 2 children........ time will tell:):)

Joss

Visit site
p.s I never quite got to grips with slings. I found I couldnt bend over very well with her on my front. Which seriously restricted yard work.

When she was a little older I used a backpack alot. More for out & about at events, she found it much more stimulating than sitting in a pushchair.

jvm100

Visit site
Hi. My little lady is now nearly 3, but she was with me at the yard the day after leaving hospital. (December). I kept her well wrapped and on days i put the car near her stable, but she seems perfectly happy and healthy for her outdoor life. I drive, rather than ride, but put the ponies straight back to work and we competed at the British open when she was 12 weeks- and yes, she was living in our far from posh lorry for the week! I found a b
decent baby sling invaluable and used it when mucking out, lungeing nice ponies and plaiting up etc. Do what you feel is right and don't let anyone say you have to sit at home and do nothing!!!! - my midwife said you shouldn't think of even getting dressed for the first 2 weeks!!!!

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
My boys are 4 & 5, and i carried on riding up to about 36ish week pregnant with both, so my horse didn't have that much time off work, although we'd only been pottering about very quietly towards the end! (TBH i went & tried & then got a new horse when i was unknowingly pregnant, then hunted him for half a season before my husband got to jittery!!)

Anyway, i was back on after 2 weeks, it didn't take that long to get him fit, but i'd under estimated how unbalanced i'd got, & the first real thing i did once back in the swing of things was take said very tuned horse hunting, i ended up covered in alot of mud! I was then Pregnant with No2, ground froze solid, so we just potted again for another 6 months, second time round i kept myself alot fitter while preg, swimming every week, loads & loads of walking & of course having 1 toddler!

So after no2, i was back on board again after about 2 weeks, and this time was much more focused, my main horse had never evented & the plan was to get him out doing some BE, so we worked hard over the winter & spring to get him ready, he then tweaked something, had 3 months off but by the following spring came out & did his first BE90, he's since done two seasons at 100, but now is suffering from the usual age related wear & tear

my two boys have been dragged everywhere with me, its easy when the are tiny & in a pram as you can just park them up or push them where ever you need to be, its tougher when they are toddlers as they don't want to go in the pushchair, get tired & cold easily & aren't quite safe to be left just playing, once they hit 3+ they are more trustworthy, they get that they have to avoid bottoms/feet/certain horses,

my general advice would be to invest in the warmest driest clothing for them to wear at the yard, once they get cold & wet you have about 5 mins before all hell breaks loose!! (certainly with mine you do) keep them interested, it'll waste time & horse feed to let them mix feeds, but they love being involved, mine had a pony from about 9months old, it keeps them interested (although now we're doing pony club & they have opinions on everything i do, i'm not sure if i've started a good thing! ;) ) get plenty of toys (ride on & push along types) that you can keep at the yard to keep them entertained!

good luck, it's very managable, & i think it's good for them to see that animals have to be looked after, fed & worked, & that if you want to do well at something you have to train & practise!

DarkHorseB

Visit site
I was just wondering when you were due! Hope all goes well.

I had a long break from competing. It had actually started before I was pregnant with Foot & Mouth year and living on a farm, then after that a pretty stressful full on job that meant I had already been out of competing a couple of years when my first baby arrived. I chose not to ride when I was pregnant but I was back riding 6 days later I had missed it so much!! I did have stitches but no one had said to me I shouldn't ride till 6 weeks or anything ;) I didn't get back to competing but really there were a multitude of reasons for that. My horse had been jumping Foxhunter plus - which back then I had to travel a fair distance for and with no times set could be very long days and my husband was still dairy farming at the time so I couldn't just disappear for 12 hours plus at a time!! At the same time having been jumping at that level I had no desire to go out and compete at local low level stuff with that horse as there was no challenge in that and back then SJ was all I did. So I just kept my horses at home and rode and jumped at home for fun. When second baby was born I think I was back on by about day 10 (she had ended up in SCBU so we were in hospital a bit longer).

It was only when my younger daughter was 2 that I decided I had enough time now to get a youngster and start competing at the bottom again bringing him and as for nerve we now switched to eventing something I had never had the inclination to do but wanted to do the minute I sat on this horse - much to my mother's horror! She had always been glad I didn't particularly love XC in my PC days!!

My elder daughter is now nearly 9 and a good help at Events holding horse, passing stuff and even does my fences ;) So they do get to a stage they are useful :p Downside of this she is also horse daft and has to be taken to shows with her own pony where I have to do likewise and can make balancing events difficult!!:rolleyes:

As others have said if you really want to do something you can make it happen. Happy riding!