Getting back into competing after having a baby...

cowboylover

Visit site
You can do it!

Freshy I am the same as you and found routines only made my life harder work and milk on demand in the sling was fantastic.

For me having the baby boosted my confidence not just riding but with the whole world. I had a difficult pregnancy, birth and baby in NICU so I now think if I can do that I can do anything!!

fatpony

Visit site
Good luck - hope it all goes well.
I had a baby 8 weeks ago - natural delivery, big baby, stitches and I'm breastfeeding.
I got really stressed beforehand that I wouldnt be able to ride but where theres a will theres a way. I rode at 10 days and took my pony to his first show at 5 weeks. I havent lost my nerve - get in the zone when riding so nothing affects that. My pony is on full livery so if I have a bad night or bad day or the weather is too hot for baby then I dont need to stress about getting to the yard. My boy falls asleep in his car seat on the way to the yard then sleeps while I school. My friend sometimes watches him while I go for a little hack. I am restricted in how much I can do and when I can do it but then that was also the case when I worked full time.
One bit of advice - dont feel guilty about making time to ride. Some people seem to think that you should spend your entire life from now on holding/cuddling and cooing over your baby. Obviously you should do and will want to do a fair bit of that but dad/granparents/aunties etc also want to do that so take advantage of them. Also I find that spending time with the pony refreshes and relaxes me and makes it easier to cope with the sleepless nights/cluster feeding/constant nappies etc.
It can be difficult but also lots of fun. Good luck.

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Good luck - hope it all goes well.
I had a baby 8 weeks ago - natural delivery, big baby, stitches and I'm breastfeeding.

Congratulions fatpony! Am so impressed to hear that you and others managed to get back on within 2 weeks and with stitches. Big fingers crossed I can do the same.

Also thanks for your point about other people thinking you should do nothing other than baby from now on... this is a problem I know I am sure to face. While my mum is very close by (talking in terms of 100's of yards) and therefore easily available to babysit for mucking out etc if required. She is not horsey and furthermore she basically has never and did never do ANYTHING other than be a housewife once my sister and I came along. To self-justify this she criticises anyone who has any kind of life outside of children/baby as being neglectful, be that for work or social reasons... so I'm bracing myself on that front and hoping and praying that she may adore looking after baby so much that she will overlook the opportunity to preach and make me feel quilty... So far during my pregnancy she has been really lovely and kind and supportive which has been marvellous in fact we haven't got on this well in years... though I can't help but worry that's because I haven't been riding which she hates me doing...

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Aww thanks DHB - not long to go now at all - hope you've had a really good summer competing?

Summer? Didn't really reach Cumbria.:rolleyes:
Had a good March and the rest of the season best forgotten and B now off games for rest of the season as looks to have picked up a virus.
Do come back on and let us know when baby arrives and whether you have a boy or girl :)

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Summer? Didn't really reach Cumbria.:rolleyes:
Had a good March and the rest of the season best forgotten and B now off games for rest of the season as looks to have picked up a virus.
Do come back on and let us know when baby arrives and whether you have a boy or girl :)

Of course - we didn't do too much better in Yorkshire though things always being more extreme up with you we couldn't really complain!! I really think I might have picked a good year to be off games! Though I saw Hutton ran the other weekend which is a turn up for the books in it's own right!! ;)

So sorry to hear B is under the weather - hope it's something that fixes soon and you guys will be back out there asap.

Will certainly update when little person arrives.... God I hope it's soon - absolutely fed up and considering doing a spot of trampolining which my hairdresser recommended the other day worked for her (amazing the things you find time for when you can't ride - hairdresser!!!!??) ;) :D

NeverSayNever

Visit site
Congratulions fatpony! Am so impressed to hear that you and others managed to get back on within 2 weeks and with stitches. Big fingers crossed I can do the same.

its not the stitches that actually hurt imhe :eek: You worry to death about being cut down there but its one of the places in the body, like the mouth, thats heals really really quickly. I was back on in 3-4 weeks and it didnt hurt. It was bruising and the pelvic bones that move out for the baby that caused (and still cause me pain). An avacallo gel seat saver is your best friend:D Also, a visit to a good osteopath :cool:

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Thanks NeverSayNever - great intel!! My horse physio is actually a human osteo too so I think I might get her to do me and pony at the same time so we're both ready to go!!! :D