Getting back on

jklda

Visit site
I have ridden for many years, however after the birth of my first baby I have not ridden since, I have really nice calm horses and it is doing my head in not riding but when I go to get on I am actually shaking!!! Advice please?

Orson Cart

Visit site
Getting back in the saddle post baby was a big thing for me. Suddenly I was full of doubts and bloody petrified of falling off in case something awful happened.

I got round it by going to a riding stables for weekly lessons on different horses for about 6 mths. Unlike yourself, I wasn't lucky enough to have my own horse I could ride.

It was a struggle to get my confidence back - and I still daren't canter again at the moment, but I'm working on it! Take it slowly and gently and try to ride when other people are about - just gives you a bit of security blanket. Possibly lessons with an instructor on your horse will give you the confidence boost you need

xx

jklda

Visit site
I am going to have another go tonight - but sat here at my desk all I can think of is what can go wrong rather than thinking positive thoughts!! Aaargh!!

Tinseltoes

Visit site
Been there myself only id been out of the saddle for about 11 years and then when I got my own horse who wasnt broken in at the time,someone was helping and I got on him and he took off,of course I lost my balance and fell off.So when he was then he was sent off to be proffessionally broken in I was shaking when I had to get on him. Took a while before I felt confident enough. Now hes missing/stolen and im wishing id done more riding than I did. Its going to take time.
Hope all works out for you. Good advice in above posts!!

domane

Visit site
Oh Mother Nature is a cruel beast! When you've had a baby, you are programmed to pretty-much forget the rest of the world and concentrate on your baby's needs over and above anything else. Also known as "Cotton Wool Brain" :D Also comes a subconscious creeping feeling of fear that something might happen to you and then who would take care of your baby? So what you are currently feeling is well within the spectrum of normal so don't worry about that! :) Take it slowly and don't push yourself out of your comfort zone too fast. You'll be surprised how much you start to enjoy having a little "me" time after a while.

I'm having confidence issues myself. I'm 49 so my kids are all grown up and have flown the nest. I was a bit wibbly anyway but 5 weeks ago I came off and hit a road hard. Even wearing a Racesafe BP I broke and displaced 6 ribs. Initially I was selling up my lot and giving up on horses but I'm now just starting to think that when I'm more physically able, maybe I'll have a pootle around on our "safe" Clydesdale... just at a walk with my husband leading him for moral support.... to see how I feel.

ghostie

Visit site
I haven't been in your position exactly so can't offer any 'post baby' advice, but when I've lost my nerve a bit before I've set myself really small goals. So, today I am going to get on, give him a pat and get back off again, give him a polo and put him to bed (maybe lunge him afterwards if he seems put out by it). I'll keep doing that until I feel comfortable to walk around with someone next to me, and then build it up from there. I think baby steps are the key - don't terrify yourself with having to get on and do everything. Set yourself a small manageable goal and take it at your own pace. If your horse isn't the calm sensible type that will cope with this then borrow one that is. Also I find wearing a super duper hat and body protector helpful as they make me feel more secure knowing they are there. Good luck, and congratulations on the baby :) x

jklda

Visit site
Thanks guys for all your messages - just knowing I'm not the only one who has gone through this is a massive boost - its so easy to feel terribly isolated - loving something so much but having some stupid thing in your head telling you not to do it anymore!! I am going to beat this and ride again - probably in very small stages as suggested above

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Thanks guys for all your messages - just knowing I'm not the only one who has gone through this is a massive boost - its so easy to feel terribly isolated - loving something so much but having some stupid thing in your head telling you not to do it anymore!! I am going to beat this and ride again - probably in very small stages as suggested above

I feel your pain. I found it hard after having Daughter no 2 (now 3 years old) and felt very nervous so just took my time and started slowly. I started off walking & trotting in the school, then walk trot hacks with my grown up daughter and built up until last summer when I did a couple of dressage comps and had cantered out alone on a stubble field before finding out I was pregnant with no 3.

Baby no 3 is now 5wks and I am feeling I would like to have a little pootle around. The problem is my mare is out of action, probably permanently. Having a go on my oldest daughters big green ISH - is prob not the best idea for me so will look into going to a Riding School for a few sessions.

Let us know how you get on:)

zaminda

Visit site
I have dealt with a few people with post baby blues.
I suggest you try some rescue remedy for your nerves, its helped a few of my friends.
Possibly get someone to lead you to start with, and use a body protector, that helped one of my friends no end.

McNally

Visit site
Congratulations on the birth of your baby first!

Yes, Not after my daughter was born but not so long ago. The past year has seen me have 3 nasty falls after not coming off in 15 years! I couldnt ride for quite some time after the last but when i tried to get on a horse i knew was quiet and trustworthy i was shocked at what a quivering mess i became. I could actually hear my heart like it was hammering out of my chest!
I forced (literally) myself to get on and cautiously walked the horse down the lane (only to realise in my fear id forgotten my hat! lept off back to the yard hat on, back on)
Mind averted i managed to just walk up the lane and around one field at the start of the bridleway.
I was jusy so elated when i got home and that was that- next day i hacked alone out on the roads. I bet you will find its the initial getting on and then you will be fine.
Good luck xx

jklda

Visit site
Hi - Well I finally did it!! I got someone to lunge me on my 22 year old Welsh Cob (yes how embarrassing I didn't dare get on the silly old sod!!) Storm was fantastic but couldn't understand why mum was being such a wuss!! Anyway - having another go tomorrow and Sunday morning and then hopefully on Monday will have a go at flying solo!!

rhylis

Visit site
Well done!:)
It took me the best part of three years to get back on my horse after having my second daughter. Part of the delay was due to my horse having sarcoids in awkward places but mostly it was me being a total coward! She's an ex racehorse and after the break durring my pregnancy I just thought I was no where near good enough to ride her! Eventually, I got on with a friends encouragement and just walked round a nice small enclosed field, I rode like a beginner and bless my lovely horse she was an angel! That was some time ago now and although my confidence still occasionally takes a dive I can now ride her accross massive open fields and we have a great time together:).
Good luck with even more riding, you are doing great!:)