Getting bute into a fussy eater.

hayinamanger

Visit site
Hi, my horse will eat Danilon but bute is very difficult to get down him. I have tried cinnamon, apple sauce, syringing but this is very messy.

Help needed please :)

hayinamanger

Visit site
Is there a reason he can’t have Danilon instead ? I could never get Bute down mine despite apple juice/mint / molasses etc - I just decided it wasn’t worth the battle for the extra cost if the Danilon
Is there a reason he can’t have Danilon instead ? I could never get Bute down mine despite apple juice/mint / molasses etc - I just decided it wasn’t worth the battle for the extra cost if the Danilon

They were out of Danilon at the practice.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Second the jam sandwich, also mix into a paste with molasses and stuff into a hollowed out carrot. Time consuming but sort of works... the first time or two at least ?

PSD

Visit site
Had to syringe it down my mare, mixed with water. Couldn’t give her anything like jam butties apple juice etc as she was laminitic and had EMS

tda

Visit site
After seeing similar quandaries on here, I bought a bag of Saracen Re Leve, sprinkled a bit of that on top of the soaked grass nuts with the Bute in and it worked well for the five days I needed.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
After seeing similar quandaries on here, I bought a bag of Saracen Re Leve, sprinkled a bit of that on top of the soaked grass nuts with the Bute in and it worked well for the five days I needed.
yup re-leve seems to be irresistible, it's the only way to get bute into my fusspot. Danilon is so much easier!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Fast fibre has been my saviour for an extremely fussy horse. I mix it in a separate container with supplements/danilon/whatever, then mix really thoroughly into a handful of feed, again thoroughly mixed with a handful of readigrass. It mostly works.

Brownmare

Visit site
I had one horse who was truly impossible to get bute (or any medication) into him. The only thing that worked was to mix the bute with a teaspoonful of toothpaste, put it on a wooden spoon and wipe it onto his tongue as far back into his mouth as I could reach.

daydreamer

Visit site
A friend of mine who works at the vets gave me this tip; mix it with baby food then syringe. Worked for my youngster. I think I topped and tailed the mixed baby food with some undoctored baby food in the syringe!

Shazzababs

Visit site
When my old boy was poorly we could only get his meds into him with a pile of golden syrup sandwiches (80 tablets a day!).

So sticky, but it worked. Tesco sells it in squeezy bottles which makes it much less messy.