Getting cast..

Skhosu

Visit site
What do you do when a pony gets cast?
Jus tbeen out to bring mine in, horribel pony had fresh bed so rolled (half on the bed half on concrete??!) and got cast. Heard banging, couldn't see him at the window so went out.
I was on my own, and he was periodically thrashing.
Eventually he squirmed his way up and is thankfully unhurt.
Now, a previous pony got cast once and was scared into getting up by seeing sister at window (we were trying to get a lunge rope to help pull him up).
What do you do when a horse gets cast?
Should I be concerned that 14.2's are getting cast in the stables?
They are around 12 by 12 and have deep beds with banks.

debbielinder

Visit site
mine got cast a few weeks ago but sort of lay there for a minute with her legs up against the wall our stables or massive but shes accident prone so i dont expect any less of her. she let out this big sigh i wasnt sure what to do so i went in and shouted at her to get up sounds silly but she just pushed herself off the wall and got up! i'd swear that thing understands everything i say

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
We have big 17HH+ hunters who sometimes get cast, have to grab ropes and lunge lines, the biggest blokes on the yard and heave ho!
But this is dangerous and should only be done by competant people, never try this when alone with your pony.

Skhosu

Visit site
that's what I thought!
Interestingly, my 16.3hh has never get cast( thankfully, if he did he'd probably do something REALLY stupid!) only the ponies.

Blizzard

Visit site
I used to work at a yard where a couple of the pointers used to always get cast, we had to literally pull them up with lunge lines etc most of the time, almost getting squished on oaccasion.
shocked.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
First thing to do is sit on the head. Quite often if you stabilise the head they will flip themselves over, but it also stops them struggling. Then put lunge reins round front and/or hinds (depending on stickedness) and on 3 let go of the head and pull.

Thistle

Visit site
Our oldie gets cast. I have nailed a rail about 2'6" high around his box, now he has something to kick against and manages to right himself easily.

It's like having a picture rail or dado rail in a stable.

Salcey

Visit site
My 15:3hh mare has been cast 4 times, the last two whilst pregant in a foaling box. Again we used lunge lines to help get her up. On 3 of the occasions she'd been down for a while (we woke up when we heard banging about 3 in the morning) so we got the vet out to check all was well

mandy4727

Visit site
My filly gets cast, well not cast cos she does get back over, nearly every single day. I painted her stable walls last weekend and you should see all the scrape marks now. She has a massive stable and massive bankings but still does it. In fact people have seen her (went to keep an eye on and to see if she is okay) and she does it on purpose. Rolls, get with all 4 legs against the wall. Stays there for ages and ages just still. And then gently starts to rock herself and then harder an harder and turns herself over and gets back up. A lot of people have seen her do it. Stupid creature!!!