Getting cast

Achinghips

Visit site
What predisposes a horse/pony to getting cast in the stable? It's one of my worst fears .... And what do you do if it happens?

only_me

Visit site
More likely to get cast if they roll lots, are too big for the stable, no banks/anti-cast strips, or are collicking.

if a horse does get cast you must remember that their legs and hooves are v dangerous! Never try to pull a horse over unless you are clear of all legs and have enough room to get out of the way.
Use a length of rope and loop around a hoof, and use that to pull a horse over. Also good to shout for help :)

Luci07

Visit site
Some seem to do it when they are given a nice new bed..if your horse is prone to it, then bigger banks and a good old fashioned anti cast roller is the way to go. If the horse is cast, then the above method works (but is much easier with 2 people to do it). Friends horse used to it... and he had a nasty habit of biting his owner once he was back up - seems he blamed her for his troubles as he never bit her helpers!

Orca

Visit site
I always have big banks in my stables. Rubber mats with small beds and no banks seem to be popular at the moment but in my experience, a bed with no banks poses a cast risk and it's not a risk worth taking. Have strong rope to hand just in case and follow the great advice already posted ��

Visit site
Always make sure you loop the rope round the pastern of the legs under Neath, never the ones on top or you will make your horse do the splits! Never knot or twist the rope just loop as the horse will probably need to get it off themselves. Always the pastern, anywhere else won't give you enough leverage and the rope is more likely to slip off.

If there are plenty of people around then call for help, 2-3 people are better than one. One to man a front leg, one to man the back leg and one to neel on the horses neck to stop it moving whilst you sort out the ropes. As soon as the horse is just over the apex and can come down on the right side by itself get the hell out of the way! Don't stick about until if is almost down - run! I've been stuck in too many corners by idiots who wouldn't get out of my way or the horses way quick enough!

The main thing to do is not to panic!