Getting contact/on the bit

Blazingkate

carlingblacklabel.piczo.com
Hiya just a quick question about what aids you give to get your horse to send it 'on the bit'. My instructor showed me about a year ago but I'm a bit confused because when I give the aids she showed me it works sometimes and not others. It's probably down to me not giving the signals clear enough but any help will be, well, helpful!! I don't have lessons any more so I can't ask my instructor.

SummerStorm

Visit site
Loads and loads of leg and gently play with the reins - then again, perhaps I'm not the best person to ask since mine goes along with his nose out...
blush.gif
grin.gif

tinker512

Visit site
Every horse you will ride will be slightly different way, just as every rider I suppose!!I try to ride them working upto the bridle in the same way, adjusting so to speak with the horse.Normally I will maintain my outside rein and ride them up to that with leg leg leg, and tinkle abit with my inside rein with abit more leg.
Seriously, if the horse isn't working or moving from behind, it wil struggle to truely riding upto the bridle and soften through his neck and back.

the watcher

Visit site
I know there is a school of thought that says you should only ask for vertical flexion, however I tend to start laterally, softening the neck through alternate bending in walk until they relax down, and then collect from there. I reinforce this with lunging on a Pessoa or similar to encourage the stretching down. I find it is a lot easier to bring a horse up to a contact from this stretch than down from a pointy nose position