Getting fussy eater to eat hay

willhegofirst

Visit site
My Connie has always been fussy with his hay, had him from a yearling he's 14 now, this year he has eaten most of the first two round bales which looked and smelled Okish, the third looked better, he's eating about 60% of so opened fourth which looks and smells the best of the lot, really not interested at all. Have tried malasses in boiling water over it, he licked the haynet, but didn't eat any more hay, have tried it loose still no joy.
Anyone with any other suggestions gratefully received, before I shoot the b***er -)

willhegofirst

Visit site
He is out during the day, between 5 and 8 hours depending on if he's ridden or not.
His condition is ok, you can feel his ribs, I wouldn't want him any lighter, I might see if I can sell the fourth bale to one of the other liveries, there is only four of us on a working farm, and try to source other hay.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If he looks OK then I wouldn't worry too much, he may well be finding enough to eat outside - our grass is still growing here! Hungry horses will generally eat.

{97702}

Visit site
Ironically I've had a very fussy lightweight cob type on loan since May - when he arrived his owner assured me that I would have to feed him haylage as he wouldn't eat hay. With me, he has learned to eat hay.....

We have recently moved yards and have a new hay supplier, cue horse going on strike and not eating hay for a few days.... he has apparently realised which side his bread is buttered as he has decided that he will eat the new hay much more quickly than last time.....

As long as you are feeding good quality hay then he WILL eat it if he is hungry :)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Mine also won't eat much hay, and is rather fussy. I steam it now which seems to help but recently I've been mixing hay & haylage and he's now pretty much leaving the hay which is annoying. I'd rather he was eating as we have absolutely no grass so I just up his haylage a bit.

LD&S

Visit site
A few years ago my hay supplier ran out and bought some hay in, everyone who looked at it thought it was great, lots of variety and smelt lovely but even my cob at the time who ate everything barely touched it. I offered samples to several people and the horses would take a couple of mouthfuls then leave it.
Farmer now limits his customers so he has enough for his regulars and sells on what's left as a couple of other people had the same problem though no-one worked out why the horses wouldn't eat it. It seems this hay malarky has a bit more to it than just cutting grass lol.

willhegofirst

Visit site
Though I do believe hungry horses will eat, last year he got to the point you could see his ribs through this thick winter coat and look tucked up at which point I got him haylage and then managed to find hay he would eat, which was from the same farmer I got this years from, my trouble is when you buy large bales it gets expensive when he's not eating it. He does my head in over hay.

Yardbird

Visit site
There does seem to be nice looking hay that horses will not eat, and you have to just get some other hay. There have been previous threadsabout possible reasons.