Getting hat checked?

Clofox

Visit site
Hi all,
Today had a bit of an accident, was on a horse in yard and it starting rearing up i fell back and hit my head on a piece of metal..it hurt! i can remember feeling like shock waves going through my hat?! i emergency dismounted as she became dangerous and was VERY shaken, i had a bit of a headache but feel fine now.

My question is what shall i do bout my hat!? its has no damage that i can see but realize it could be damaged underneath,and i've only had it bout 5months? can i get it checked?

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
Replace it!
I came off on the road a couple of years ago and hit mine on the tarmac, didn't replace it and wore it to xc this summer...had a minor fall xc and sustained a delayed concussion, I'm sure it wouldn't have happened if I'd had replaced my hat after the first fall.
Hats aren't that expensive, same price as a set of shoes really and definitely worth protecting your head. Concussion is nasty :(

Jaycee

Visit site
Definately replace it! OH had a fall not so long ago, horse skimmed the back of his hat with her hoof tearing the covering. On taking the covering off (we'd already decided to replace it) the damage that had been caused was unbelievable, it reminded us of what toughened glass looks like after a hefty wack! Hat went straight in the bin!

Clofox

Visit site
Thanks for replies, looks like i will just replace it!
But is there somewhere i can get it checked? just to see what the damage is like? (will still invest into a new one)
Happy Hunter- I'm okay,was just very shocked, cant remember much! jumped off legs shaking and then i started crying aswell!:rolleyes: but after a cuddle i was okay..

I did ride after the accident, i only rode the horse that i had the accident on so she could have some exercise and then went out on my loan mare which helped:) felt a bit tense but then realized how much i trust my mare and was fine although i had a bit of a headache.
Back at home now, feeling a bit tired but thats to be expected!

starryeyed

Visit site
Glad you're okay! Agree with the others about definitely replacing the hat, that's not a minor bump! Not sure about where you can get it looked at though.

Clofox

Visit site
Glad you're okay! Agree with the others about definitely replacing the hat, that's not a minor bump! Not sure about where you can get it looked at though.

I'm fine thank you:) just shaken! will look into getting a new hat.
Its very strange as i cant remember anything much! all i can remember is hitting my head and thats it! struggling to even remember the dismount or anything! its horrible yet strange and irritating!

Happy Hunter

Visit site
Glad your ok! Sounds like a little shock! :)

I love disecting hats! - Does dad/brother/unlcle have any power tools to cut it open - its irreversable - but the only way to really 'check' what happened.

I would reccomend having a hot sweet tea to hand though - It can be shocking!

Kaylum

Visit site
Should always change your hat at least every 2 years as it stretches and of course after every fall or bang to the head or if you drop your hat.