Getting horsey fit

orsceno1

Visit site
My horse has been off work for nearly 4 months following the worlds biggest splint on his hind leg
mad.gif
, I am now bringing him back into work, he had 6 weeks box rest initially (walked out for 20mins per day) then has been turned away but being ridden out in walk now and again (more from a psychological point of view as he goes mental if not ridden for a while!), so result is he is very very stiff and very very unfit
shocked.gif
I have also had the osteopath out who found he was very sore through his back, probably due to inactivity although he is generally a very stiff horse, sooooo......
Does anyone have any advice on some good exercises to do with him, or any general pearls of wisdom they can share on getting him fit again? Until he threw the splint he was very fit and was regularly dressaging and jumping. All opinons welcome!

teapot

Visit site
Lots of hill work in walk and a firm favourite at my yard where a couple of the horses are eventing but occasionally throw a splint - walking on road (we're lucky as it's country lanes) just to harden the legs up

samp

Visit site
i'd do loads of walking and trotting on the roads, love fittening tham up. After 4 weeks I start to canter

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
In addition to the road work, do some stretching exercises. Stand him square and make him bend his neck back each side as far as he can for a carrot. A couple of times each side initially & then more. I think the secret is just do everything gradually & steadilly & he'll come back to fitness. Good luck

orsceno1

Visit site
thanks guys, its just such a pain the dark nights are here as now I can only hack at weekends, so its 30 mins in the school at night - trying to be as inventive as possible!